Why Buy a Biocube?

dsmike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've gotten the okay to put an aquarium in my office... In fact it was encouraged. I might be able to get a free tank this weekend from a co-worker, but I've been considering buying a Biocube. What I can't figure out is why.

Everything I've read says that to make a Biocube 29 into a reef tank you have to do som singificant mods. Cut parts out of the chamber, remove the bio balls. Spend over a 175 bucks or so on new lightening. Spend 100 bucks on a skimmer. Buy a stealth filter. THE LFS is selling the Biocube 29 for 249 new and the stand for 120. So that's 360 Bucks, then over 200 bucks on mods? So for almost 600 bucks you now have a Tank.

This REALLY doesn't make since to me. Why not buy a 30 gal tank and stand and just add the parts you want on it to begin with? I MUST no be understanding something.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had coral in my 29 bio cube and I didn't do all of those changes. They were fine it was just hard to keep the water levels where they needed to be. I also prefer the look of bio cubes.

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you could use stunner strips for the lighting... there inexpensive and work,

i have 5 differant corals under my 2 bars of "stunner strip" leds in my 29 tall DT

all corals are out everyday and have been under the led strips for months and months

i have 1 white/blue and one full white led bars,

for around 100$

Lexi03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My LFS sells a 29 gal bio cube tank( forgot what the kit was called) that has a protien skimmer and a metal halide light built in for $650.00? No stand though.

dsmike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What I'm thinking is:

The all-in-one systems are basically 3 sides of glass, and the back has a compartment where water is cycle through right?

I'm betting I can make one from scratch. WAY CHEAP. I just need to find a diagram of how the that back compartment is put togather.

Mcalpine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
did you find plans or a tank yet ? jw because ive built a few out of ten gallon tanks ....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom