Why Aren't My Zebra Danios Swimming Down? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Charles B, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Charles B

Charles BNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've just recently moved my Zebra Danios into a bigger community tank (20 gallon). They have been in there for about 20 hours now, and they have hardly been swimming down to the mid/bottom of the tank. The farthest down I have seen them go is about 6 inches and it is a two feet tall tank.

Should I be concerned?

Let me know. Thank you!

2. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,274
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well I have Giant Danios and they are top water fish. Not sure about the Zebras.

3. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,224
    This is something that I would not be concerned at all. Danios are mostly top dwelling fish.

4. Elkwatcher

ElkwatcherWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +752
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My Zebra Danio's school with Giant Danio's at the top but come down occasionally to spawn.

5. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +751
    Experience:
    4 years
    It's impossible to understand danios' behavior. They have so much energy they don't even know what they're doing half the time lol.

Danios are generally regarded as a top dwelling fish. My pearl danios swim at the surface every morning then again in the afternoon. They sleep and relax near the bottom of the tank because there's less current.

Before I added more fish to their school, they always hung out near the bottom of the tank.

As long as the water parameters are good and they're eating, you have nothing to worry about.

6. teakwandolover234

teakwandolover234Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Check the water temp they are generally all over the place but my 7 zebras only hung out at the top 24/7 when my heater malfunctioed and my tank was like 95- 98. It was bad nothing died though