Why aren't my platies spawning?

Rosegardener

I have 6 platies in a 20g long, been there for months, they used to share with Endler's but not anymore. The Endler's spawned regularly but nothing from the platies, so the Endler's was removed couple of months ago, now just the platies, a few Corydoras, and 3 ottos; still no babies. The platies were mickey mouse came from Petsmart. Water tested good, and yes, of the six, one male and rest female, all active and good appetite.

Thunder_o_b

Turn the lights down low and play this for them.

Don't forget the brine shrimp.

Flyfisha

Hi Rosegardener.
I raise platies.
The size difference of the fry between species is considerable . I actually have the two species with fry currently in two separate tanks very close to each other. The endler fry are born almost twice the size of a platy.

I suspect the fry are being eaten on the morning they arrive? Floating plants and moss on the substrate will give the fry a place to get away. You will need to separate any fry. First thing in the morning have a look at the surface. Looking later in the day may pick up one or two but first light seems the best time to catch a few. A plastic jug is the way I choose to catch fry . Although small they will eat dry dust on day one as well as brine shrimp in moderation.

veggieshark

Do your females go through pregnancy and then one day they are with empty belly? That would tell if fry are eaten.
Do you know if you have fish that are fertile?
Is your temperature suitable? Their breeding slows down at cool temperatures.

Flyfisha

I found one fry this morning a few minutes ago ( Australian time) . It must be my old eyes veggieshark because I sure as heck can’t tell which female dropped the fry and which fish including mum consumed all the other tiny fry.
image.jpg

OneMoreBetta

I used to breed platys, for me 90% or more of the babies would get eaten if they weren’t moved to another tank!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
DioAquatics
  • Question
  • JP2075
  • Platy
Replies
Views