Why aren't all my baby shrimp surviving?

fish47

Reaction score
I recently had around 3-4 berried shrimp that released their babies and only around 10-20 babies are still alive when there should be like 60. I heard somewhere that most baby shrimp die because their first molt fails, and that shrimp need calcium to molt. I also saw in a video that you can tell that you don't have a good enough amount of calcium in your tank by seeing if your snail's shells are thin, and all of my bladder snails shells are mostly see-through. I heard you can add things into the tank to raise the calcium? Does anybody know anything about this?

AquaKid

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Adding cuttlebone or eggshells help with calcium issues for my snails. Hope this helps!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You may also just be seeing the active baby shrimp. Adding cuttlebone or a higher calcium food to their diet will help with calcium needs.
Not all baby shrimp will survive, even if you do everything to a 'T'.

I've got a tank of orange neos and blue bolts, i maybe see one to two of the blue bolts and maybe four to five of the oranges - i have over a dozen blue bolts and over 15 of the oranges, but I don't see them unless I go hunting for them by moving things in the tank.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feel most baby shrimp may end up starving, they mainly feed on biofilm on the tank's surfaces and if you've got a bunch of shrimp and not much surface area they may just be starving before they are able to look for prepared foods with the adults. I have cherry shrimp of all sizes in my 36gal and I only see juvenile shrimp with the adults, not the tiny colorless babies as they hide till they are of a certain size.

OP
fish47

fish47

Reaction score
I have a gh of 140 ppm and a kh of around 60 ppm

Demeter said:
I feel most baby shrimp may end up starving, they mainly feed on biofilm on the tank's surfaces and if you've got a bunch of shrimp and not much surface area they may just be starving before they are able to look for prepared foods with the adults. I have cherry shrimp of all sizes in my 36gal and I only see juvenile shrimp with the adults, not the tiny colorless babies as they hide till they are of a certain size.
I have been feeding bacter ae daily but I find it is hard to spread all around the tank with a covering of duckweed and a sponge filter. Any suggestions?

Convoluted77

Reaction score
I'm guessing the survivors were just the ones that were able to find enough stuff to munch on right away after they were born.The longer your tank is established with film growing on stuff or broken down catapa leaves your survival rate will likely go up.If you have 20 new shrimp and they are doing good and growing I think you should be happy.Youll likely have tons in no time

OP
fish47

fish47

Reaction score
Convoluted77 said:
I'm guessing the survivors were just the ones that were able to find enough stuff to munch on right away after they were born.The longer your tank is established with film growing on stuff or broken down catapa leaves your survival rate will likely go up.If you have 20 new shrimp and they are doing good and growing I think you should be happy.Youll likely have tons in no time
I've had the shrimp since early January and I have a catappa leaf in there now. I don't really know how to tell if I have biofilm or how to grow it? I also recently bought some subwassertang because I heard that babies can hide in there and some females will release the shrimplets in there because it is a good hiding place. Could this help with the survival rates? The only inhabitants I have in the tank are 12 new tiger shrimp, a bristlenose pleco, and around or over 30 orange neocaridina shrimp.

Convoluted77

Reaction score
fish47 said:
I have been feeding bacter ae daily but I find it is hard to spread all around the tank with a covering of duckweed and a sponge filter. Any suggestions?
When I used bacter I just scooped up some tank water into an empty plastic bottle,added the bacter,shook it up and poured the water back on the tank.I dont think the bacter is actually food.To my understanding it just helps to grow the slimy biofilm that shrimps like to graze on.

OP
fish47

fish47

Reaction score
Convoluted77 said:
When I used bacter I just scooped up some tank water into an empty plastic bottle,added the bacter,shook it up and poured the water back on the tank.I dont think the bacter is actually food.To my understanding it just helps to grow the slimy biofilm that shrimps like to graze on.
thanks! I watched Mark's shrimp tanks video on how much to add and in the video he just put it on the top but this seems to be a better method! do you know anything I could add to the tank to get more calcium in there?

Convoluted77

Reaction score
fish47 said:
I've had the shrimp since early January and I have a catappa leaf in there now. I don't really know how to tell if I have biofilm or how to grow it? I also recently bought some subwassertang because I heard that babies can hide in there and some females will release the shrimplets in there because it is a good hiding place. Could this help with the survival rates? The only inhabitants I have in the tank are 12 new tiger shrimp, a bristlenose pleco, and around or over 30 orange neocaridina shrimp.
In my opinion the more clutter the better.Plants mosses wood leaves..sponge bob ornaments.
fish47 said:
fish47 said:
thanks! I watched Mark's shrimp tanks video on how much to add and in the video he just put it on the top but this seems to be a better method! do you know anything I could add to the tank to get more calcium in there?
If my math is right your gh seems to be at a decent number.You likely have good calcium level but it's possible that all your gh is made up of magnesium or something else.Cant say for sure unless you test just the calcium.if you decide to add more calcium then salty shrimp gh+ and gh kh+ are good and easy but a little pricey.cuttle bone is good like others have said and I'm sure there's other things I can think of right now.My gh is lower than yours.Around 90ppm and i havn't had any molt issues but i do feed a little bit of food with calcium it.

Yyot

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve had more shrimp survival rate after I started using Glasgarten Bacter Ae. It’s a micro food with supplements and the shrimp lets really like it. I order 35 grams for $15 every few months

RDcompton03

Reaction score
fish47 said:
I recently had around 3-4 berried shrimp that released their babies and only around 10-20 babies are still alive when there should be like 60. I heard somewhere that most baby shrimp die because their first molt fails, and that shrimp need calcium to molt. I also saw in a video that you can tell that you don't have a good enough amount of calcium in your tank by seeing if your snail's shells are thin, and all of my bladder snails shells are mostly see-through. I heard you can add things into the tank to raise the calcium? Does anybody know anything
Bladder snail shells are kind of translucent. I would'nt let that be your determining factor. Are you seeing molt shells in the tank from your adult shrimp? If you are seeing them occasionally maybe that's a sign that molting isn't a problem.

OP
fish47

fish47

Reaction score
RDcompton03 said:
Bladder snail shells are kind of translucent. I would'nt let that be your determining factor. Are you seeing molt shells in the tank from your adult shrimp? If you are seeing them occasionally maybe that's a sign that molting isn't a problem.
oh ok. i didn't know they were. I do see molt shells so I might have been worrying a little too much. I think my tank is just a little too new and I need to wait for some more biofilm to grow.

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Adding Bacture AE everyday is not necessary nor advised. Your going to pollute your tank. You should be adding it maybe once a week and then only about a 1/4 or a scoop. Adding it to the water is a good idea I just stir it into the water, but there’s no harm in your way

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have you seen a lot of dead baby shrimp? If not, it's possible that you do have a good survival rate but just aren't seeing many because they're hiding.

New Threads