Why Are Rabbit Snails So Underrated? Am I Missing Something?

emmysjj

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Personally, I love rabbit snails. I don't have one, but I think they are so cute, and slow breeders, and re just a cool snail in general. Why aren't they more popular? I almost never see them talked about here.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh they're awesome, just that they're normally $20-30 puts them out of possibilities for snails for most people.
I had two, and personally I really wouldn't have spent $60 on two little snow, I just got them look for MTS and someoje misidentified them and gave them to me.
Also the fact that they eat quite a few live plants, people don't really like that either...
But they're still so cute!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SixThreeOh said:
$20-30? I've never seen them for more than $8.
Man, that's lucky. But still, $10 for a snail!
The only LFS within a 4 hour radius of me that sells rabbit snails sells them for $20-30 depending on the type, and otherwise getting them shipped in costs a lot more

bitseriously

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
All 3 of my tanks are (in my dreams) display quality, with lots of live plants. So no plant eaters allowed! I think rabbit snails are really cool, and if not for the herbivorous behavior id have a few, at least.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
emmysjj said:
Hmm, I'll see if my LFS has them or can order them in for me.

Do they need two to reproduce?
So, they reproduce extremely slowly, and is one of the reasons they are so expensive. They need a male and female to reproduce and seem to have no signs of which is male and which is female. They also lay one egg every few months. The egg is about the size of a penicl eraser, and hatches out minutes after being laid.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
emmysjj said:
Is it true that they need 30+ gallons?
Honestly I think that's just because of their bioload (3" snail) and to make sure they get enough biofilm and stuff. As long as you feed and do water changes, they should be fine in like a 10.
Or, if you got the minI rabbit snails (which are the ones I got, hence the confusion with MTS) which grow a little over an inch, you can have quite a few in some smaller nano tanks, or a small army in a 30

snailyfriends

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
they're the cutest little snails. their babies are cute too. very curious, they'll climb right on to your hand and give you sandpaper kisses. I got lucky too, I got mine for $7. I would pay $30 though. so cute and sweet.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are my favourite snails. I've got 2. Mine were just £4 each I think. They eat a lot of vegetables but mine don't eat most plants.

New Threads