1 Gallon Tank Why are my shrimp suddenly dying?

Aquariumlover1357

I don't know why my shrimp are suddenly dying. It's a 1-gallon that I fully cycled over two months, and there used to be 5 ghost shrimp with 2 nerite snails. They were completely fine for the last month, until I found a horsehair worm in one of mine, and I had to euthanize him to make sure the worm died. After the normal weekly water change last Sunday, the other four randomly started dying off.

The only thing that changed was that I've switched out their old Indian almond leaf for a new one, and giving them the extra bloodworms leftover from feeding my adfs (about 2 worms for each other them). 3 died over the course of 3 days. Now I'm left with one last one, who doesn't seem to have a horsehair worm in it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. They've already been here for a month, so it has to be something recently. The snails are doing fine. Any help?

AggressiveAquatics

Is it planted? And how often are you changing water? From my experience shrimp are sensitive to high nitrates

Upvote 0

Aquariumlover1357

Is it planted? And how often are you changing water? From my experience shrimp are sensitive to high nitrates
It has a large anubia plant that I got from my main tank. I change the water once a week, 50%.

Are you using tap water or RO water? If the former, have you tested it for TDS and copper?

I'm using tap water. I haven't tested for either. Is a regular conditioner not enough? Is there a special thing I need to get to treat the water?

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

It has a large anubia plant that I got from my main tank. I change the water once a week, 50%.

I'm using tap water. I haven't tested for either. Is a regular conditioner not enough? Is there a special thing I need to get to treat the water?
Then maybe your changing to much? I think I’ve heard that changing to much water can shock shrimp. Maybe richiep can help

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

It's not uncommon for ghost shrimp die off a lot within the first few weeks because they usually come in weakened, and perhaps that combined with other factors killed them.
I highly suspect the new almond leaf lowered the pH of your water very rapidly and put them into pH shock, killing them. Such a small tank is very susceptible to issues like this.

I've kept ghost shrimp in tanks with >120ppm nitrate and ~2300 TDS for months and they're still alive to this day so they're not exactly born fragile.

Upvote 0

richiep

I agree with wishuponafish on this one, in a small tank like this they need a little more care to keep things stable, unless you get ghost from a breeder the chances of survival are slim as most of the time they are sold as feeders and are not kept in good conditions which makes your job harder, the hair worm was a tell tail sign of bad conditions but you weren't to know that, try and source some locally youll have better luck.

Upvote 0

Aquariumlover1357

Thanks everyone! They were from my LFS, sold as feeders (for only 39 cents each). Maybe I shouldn't have given them a whole leaf, and just pieces of it, but at least I know about it. Now that I look at it, it's a miracle they even lived as long as they did. I'll get them from a better source next time.

Upvote 0

Candace

Also, you have 2 nerite snails in a one gallon? Is this permanent? One nerite snail alone has enough of a bioload to almost fully stock a 2.5g. A 1 gallon tank is fine for shrimp, not so much for any snails or fish (except maybe pest snails, those things seem to survive anything).

Upvote 0

Aquariumlover1357

Also, you have 2 nerite snails in a one gallon? Is this permanent? One nerite snail alone has enough of a bioload to almost fully stock a 2.5g. A 1 gallon tank is fine for shrimp, not so much for any snails or fish (except maybe pest snails, those things seem to survive anything).

I've heard that a couple of snails is fine for a 1 gallon, but I just thought that it might be fine, since you can have multiple snails in a 5 gallon. Maybe I can move one over to my 5 gallon tank.

Upvote 0

Candace

I've heard that a couple of snails is fine for a 1 gallon, but I just thought that it might be fine, since you can have multiple snails in a 5 gallon. Maybe I can move one over to my 5 gallon tank.

But a 5 gallon also has a more stable cycle. I have a nerite and betta in my 5g, I wouldn't put anything else in mine. If it was a snail only 5g I'd say no more than 3.

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

Thanks everyone! They were from my LFS, sold as feeders (for only 39 cents each). Maybe I shouldn't have given them a whole leaf, and just pieces of it, but at least I know about it. Now that I look at it, it's a miracle they even lived as long as they did. I'll get them from a better source next time.
Another idea is getting them to hatch and raising them. It's a numbers game but you can pick out some berried ones at your lfs and hopefully they live long enough for the eggs to hatch, then you can remove the adults and raise the babies. This is what I did with some 39c petsmart shrimp and ended up with a family of super tough ones. The tank size will still be a challenge though, because it's so hard to keep a 1 gallon stable.

Upvote 0

Theulli

Look at Aqua Huna on Amazon if you can't find something locally. I've ordered from them a couple times and have always been super happy.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dch48
  • Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
BlackOsprey