Why are my shrimp dying?

KTshrimp

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Experience
Just started
Hi, I have had a tank with Blue Dream Shrimp for about a month and a half. About three days ago, one of my shrimp suddenly died. Nothing seemed wrong with it before this. My filter had broken a few days before (it was still running, but making loud noises and wasn’t very effective) so I was waiting for a different one to be delivered. On Sunday the new filter was delivered and installed. Over the past two or three days I had noticed one of my shrimp was losing color. Yesterday morning this shrimp was struggling to stand and ended up dying that night. Not expecting any of this, I had ordered 5 new adult shrimp and 10+ babies that were delivered yesterday afternoon. So now my new total was about 18 shrimp. When I looked to check on my new little shrimp a few minutes ago I saw that another one was dead. I don’t know if it is one of my originals or a new one. I didn’t want to check for any more dead shrimp until the morning to save myself from more discouragement tonight. It’s pretty disappointing and I am worried that all of my other shrimp will die too. Why are my shrimp dying?

Background Info-

Tank Size: 7.5 gallons

Tank Started Running: Early in May

Filter: New filter as of Sunday- Sponge filter with air pump
*The filter that broke was the Aqueon Quietflow 10

Temperature: 74 F

Stocking: Started out with 4 adult Blue Dream Shrimp. 5 adults and 10+ babies received and added to the tank yesterday.

Water Changes: 20% water change every week

Water Conditioner: Topfin Water Conditioner

Cycling: (My mistake for improper cycling) The tank ran for at least 2 1/2 weeks before adding shrimp but water parameters have been kept pretty stable.

Water Test Kit: API Master Test Kit & API KH and GH test strips

Parameters:
(As of 6/28/20)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
pH: 7.8

*In the past my nitrates had been below 10 so this concerned me- the water was changed immediately after test

Food: Bacter AE, Fluval Shrimp Granules, Sera Catfish Chips, blanched carrot

Feeding: Every other day or every third day
Example- Sunday: 1/6 scoop Bacter AE
Monday: No food
Tuesday: 3 Fluval Shrimp Granules
Wednesday: No food
Thursday: 1/2 Sera Catfish Chip
Friday: No food
Saturday: No food or tiny blanched carrot slice

Thank you so much for helping!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
KTshrimp

KTshrimp

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Experience
Just started
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Did you take the old filter media and wedge behind new sponge filter to keep beneficial bacteria going? Dwarf shrimp are sensitive to water changes. And if you took old filter out and put brand new filter w no help from old media. Your beneficial bacteria can't keep up and is off balance.

My 2 cents
I did not do that... I hadn’t known about that. This new filter is a lot different from my last one. I just want to be able to keep my shrimp alive.
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Member
Messages
785
Reaction score
675
KTshrimp said:
I did not do that... I hadn’t known about that. This new filter is a lot different from my last one. I just want to be able to keep my shrimp alive.
Ok I run mostly sponge filters and changing all my tanks to run shrimp. But this is what I did to "seed" the new filter .

What are your water perameters now?
 

Attachments

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Member
Messages
785
Reaction score
675
Ps
KTshrimp said:
I did not do that... I hadn’t known about that. This new filter is a lot different from my last one. I just want to be able to keep my shrimp alive.
I just read above. If your nitrate is 40 that's high for shrimp. I keep mine less than 10 less than 5 is better.

Probably from lack of BB.

But if 40ppm you need to do water changes to get down while BB is coming back.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
KTshrimp

KTshrimp

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Experience
Just started
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Ok I run mostly sponge filters and changing all my tanks to run shrimp. But this is what I did to "seed" the new filter .

What are your water perameters now?
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Ps

I just read above. If your nitrate is 40 that's high for shrimp. I keep mine less than 10 less than 5 is better.

Probably from lack of BB.

But if 40ppm you need to do water changes to get down while BB is coming back.
Okay. I will take some more tests in the morning and change the water. I will post the updated parameters then.
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Member
Messages
785
Reaction score
675
KTshrimp said:
Okay. I will take some more tests in the morning and change the water. I will post the updated parameters then.
Also your in sticky situation shrimp hate water changes. Breeders only do like 10 percent a week. That's why it's best to put shrimp in established tanks.

But now your past that option so do water changes but keep eye on them.

Best of luck
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
KTshrimp

KTshrimp

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Experience
Just started
Update-
This morning another shrimp died. It is getting very frustrating.

New Parameters
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40

I did a small water change after testing the water. I didn’t want to shock the shrimp so I did about a 10% change. The nitrates barely went down to around 25-30.

Since they barely went down should I change the water again later today?
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Member
Messages
785
Reaction score
675
Does
KTshrimp said:
Update-
This morning another shrimp died. It is getting very frustrating.

New Parameters
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40

I did a small water change after testing the water. I didn’t want to shock the shrimp so I did about a 10% change. The nitrates barely went down to around 25-30.

Since they barely went down should I change the water again later today?
Up to you. I probably would. But that's good you got down over 10 points.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
KTshrimp

KTshrimp

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Experience
Just started
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Does
Up to you. I probably would. But that's good you got down over 10 points.
Okay. Is it ok to do water changes within a few hours of each other?
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Member
Messages
785
Reaction score
675
KTshrimp said:
Okay. Is it ok to do water changes within a few hours of each other?
I just moved 30 blue velvet from one tank to another and they got %100 new water. But tank had algae on glass and sponge filter was old and seeded and plants w biofilm and algae. So in this situation my tank helped not shock shrimp with complete water change.

There is a balance between doing what you can and also not messing with to much allowing cycle to complete.

Don't clean glass or anything now. Let algae grow
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
KTshrimp

KTshrimp

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Experience
Just started
SanDiegoRedneck said:
I just moved 30 blue velvet from one tank to another and they got %100 new water. But tank had algae on glass and sponge filter was old and seeded and plants w biofilm and algae. So in this situation my tank helped not shock shrimp with complete water change.

There is a balance between doing what you can and also not messing with to much allowing cycle to complete.

Don't clean glass or anything now. Let algae grow
Okay. Thank you so much!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
KTshrimp

KTshrimp

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Experience
Just started
Update-
After doing 2 water changes today and reducing the nitrates to around 20 I thought that my shrimp were actually going to be okay. This afternoon, 2 of my shrimp went to sit and graze— the only problem is that they just sat and sat... A few minutes ago I went to check on them and they were both dead. I feel like there is no hope for my shrimp. I have been trying to do all that I can. I only have three shrimp left now and I really don’t know what to do. Please help!
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
4,415
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
I've read through your thread and can see a few issues that will contribute to killing your shrimp, first putting shrimp in a tank thats only been running 2½ weeks is not good for shrimp its not even cycled it should run for at least 3 months, putting a new filter in and not using the media from the old one as recommended by @SanDiegoRedneck
Would have caused you cycle to crash sending your parameters sky high like your nitraits which is a killer on its own, nitrites must be under 10 as a safe zone, when shrimp go into conditions like this they don't die straight away its a slow process like you are seeing.
Depending on how fast you changed your water could have shocked them leading to a slow death, dont give up youve made a few mistakes like everyone dose but learn from them and you will get it right,
My advise would be to run that tank for a month now and monitor your water, the chances are youll loose those shrimp but running for a month will help the cycle and help your tank to settle which it needs, keep doing 20%water changes slowly this will bring your nitraits down, if you see a spike in Ammonia or Nitrits do a 50%change but it must be done slowly and the temperature must be as close as possible to the tank,
Stick with it youll get there
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
186
Guests online
2,955
Total visitors
3,141

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom