Why are my shrimp dying???

Gwlson7

I’ve had 3 neocaridina shrimp die in the last 2 weeks. They seem great one minute, then they’re laying on the bottom of the tank the next. 3 of the 4 have had a white ring in the middle, which I’ve learned is from molting issues. I just received my GH and KH test today and tested my water. The numbers are as follows:
GH 5
KH 3
PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate >5 (heavily planted tank)
Temp 78

Can someone help me figure out why my shrimp are dying and what I need to do to fix it. I’m down to 3 shrimp and I was hoping to restock soon but I don’t want to do it if they’re just going to die. Here is a photo of the most recent dead one to show the white ring I’m talking about.

Attachments

• D90FE8A2-6F7D-4EBC-944F-3ED4B24F5462.png
    D90FE8A2-6F7D-4EBC-944F-3ED4B24F5462.png
    485.7 KB · Views: 54

-Mak-

Poor things

How long have you had the colony? Do you add fertilizer or GH booster?

Gwlson7

Poor things

How long have you had the colony? Do you add fertilizer or GH booster?
I’ve had these guys for a 2 months. They did fine in my other tank. But I just got my new tank up and cycled and moved everyone over to redo the smaller tank. I add Seachem flourish and excel to the tank weekly. No GH boosters.

-Mak-

I’ve had these guys for a 2 months. They did fine in my other tank. But I just got my new tank up and cycled and moved everyone over to redo the smaller tank. I add Seachem flourish and excel to the tank weekly. No GH boosters.
Hmm. I wonder if somehow food or environment is different enough to cause it.

Gwlson7

Environment is definitely different. Previous tank was gravel and low light plants, current tank is heavily planted in Fluval stratum with seiryu stone, which I know can affect Ph. Any suggestions to help my current shrimp And balance my tank for future shrimp?

Gwlson7

richie.p any suggestions?

richiep

Your gh is low or borderline which will cause moult issues
How old is the new tank?
Did you drip acclimate then or just drop them in?
And how long have they been in there?
Seechem flourish & excel are only safe if dosed as directed but I certainly wouldn't dose both together I think your asking for trouble, and chemical even shrimp safe chemicals are unsafe for shrimp if overdosed

Gwlson7

Your gh is low or borderline which will cause moult issues
How old is the new tank?
Did you drip acclimate then or just drop them in?
And how long have they been in there?
Seechem flourish & excel are only safe if dosed as directed but I certainly wouldn't dose both together I think your asking for trouble, and chemical even shrimp safe chemicals are unsafe for shrimp if overdosed
I did not drip acclimate, just dropped them in. I started the new tank 3 weeks ago with a filter from the previous tank. Did not add any inhabitants except for pond snails until I wasn’t seeing any ammonia. And they’ve been in there for about a week and a half. So my first post about them dying within a month is wrong, it’s only been a week and a half. This quarantine thing has me going crazy!

I have stopped using flourish since I started excel, so they haven’t overlapped. And I definitely don’t overdose. I add less than directed just to be safe.

What can/should I do about the low GH?

richiep

1st dropping them in will cause shock, stress, and this along with your tank being so new will have caused this problem even though you used media from another tank, theres nothing you can do except drip the remaining shrimp into an established tank, any shrimp tank needs a minimum of 3months to get some sot of stability going even though your readings are fine

Fisheye

Genetics are at play here too. If you were closer, I'd gladly give you all mine-I thought I had sold them all to my LFS but those things do not disappear.

I agree with drip acclimating these guys. Other than that, I find them to be pretty hardy. Is it awful to say "try again"? Get 15 to start.

Gwlson7

1st dropping them in will cause shock, stress, and this along with your tank being so new will have caused this problem even though you used media from another tank, theres nothing you can do except drip the remaining shrimp into an established tank, any shrimp tank needs a minimum of 3months to get some sot of stability going even though your readings are fine
I didn’t drop them in, but bagged them and let them acclimate, slowly adding a little water from the tank. But I see what you mean. Unfortunately my other tank is not available right now, so I have nowhere else to put them. I guess I figured since I moved everything over from the old tank (filter, plants, driftwood, etc) that it would be fine. But I suppose I won’t be getting any more shrimp for a couple months. Anything I can do for them besides transfer in them? Thanks again for your knowledge.

richiep

You may as well leave them there nature as a funny way of looking after itself and I believe shrimp have as well ,its not worth stressing them more, just stay in there it will come you learn with mistakes like this. I'm sorry I'm not close as well as I'd stock you, look at these as testers they may pull through, let us know how things plan out

Gwlson7

You may as well leave them there nature as a funny way of looking after itself and I believe shrimp have as well ,its not worth stressing them more, just stay in there it will come you learn with mistakes like this. I'm sorry I'm not close as well as I'd stock you, look at these as testers they may pull through, let us know how things plan out
So the three remaining shrimp are doing great. I’ve seen several molts on the aquarium floor so I don’t think they’re having any issues and my water parameters are staying constant. I noticed this morning my large female is berried so it can’t be too bad in there for them!!!

Attachments

• 1451D9C3-7643-4325-9035-766DB64F09E0.jpeg
    1451D9C3-7643-4325-9035-766DB64F09E0.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 42
  • C75F8382-68E8-404F-BE92-1014999499EA.jpeg
    C75F8382-68E8-404F-BE92-1014999499EA.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 44
  • F8ACD722-C50D-4AF0-96B7-0B24A78D753B.jpeg
    F8ACD722-C50D-4AF0-96B7-0B24A78D753B.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 43

richiep

That's great get your first batch of young to hatch and you're made these are the ones you are working to even if the others die

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom