Why Are My Rcs Dying?

1. Summer22 Member Member

Okay so I've had a 10 gallon tank with a divider to make 2 sides. One for Betta and the other for RCS. The tank is cycled and has been running since December 2016. I've had issues with my shrimp slowly dying off one at a time and I just kept buying more shrimp figuring that I would figure it out later. Well today I found 3 dead! Here's some reading from tank. I just don't have a TDS meter. Is it possible that this is what is the culprit the whole time???

Temp- 80 f
    PH- 7.6
    ammonia- 0
    nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 30 (Could this have done it?) (missed a water change here and there due to life circumstances)
    GH- 8
    KH- 3
    TDS- unknown, have yet to get a tester.

I have 2 chunks of cuttlebone in there to help with calcium and I guess other minerals?

If I can't get this fixed I'm giving up. I have had enough. which is very sad because out of all 3 tanks I have this one was one of my favorites. :arghh:

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Have you seen them molting successfully ever?
    Is there any way copper could be in this tank?

Nitrate could have done it. Shrimp can be very sensitive to nitrates.

Maybe try some amano shrimp? They are a lot tougher than cherry shrimp. If you can keep them alive and healthy for a few months then you could try cherry shrimp again knowing your water is safe for shrimp.

3. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

I'm going to blame the nitrates.
    Try to keep them at or under 10.
    My excellent Mom&Pop shop have a big sign on their shrimp tank alerting everyone to fact that the RCS will die with nitrates of 20. (Many fish keepers don't panic with this reading in their fish tanks, so their fish expert had to post it due to clients losing shrimp on a regular basis.)

4. Books&Fish Well Known Member Member

Your Kh looks low. That can cause Ph swings.

5. Summer22 Member Member

when I researched parameters for shrimp a site said KH from 2-5 was fine for shrimp? Is this incorrect?

I have seen them molt a lot but I have also seen maybe 3 that ended up having that white/clear band around their back like the shell separated or something.

6. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Are you always getting them from the same place? Could be bad stock

7. vin Well Known Member Member

I'm guessing that with the cuttlebone that's not an issue. Cuttlebone will help stabilize the pH.

8. Books&Fish Well Known Member Member

The Kh for the shrimp itself probably doesn't matter as long as you have cuttlebone in the tank for them to eat. But Kh that low can cause your ph to swing, and the swing can be deadly. Have you tested your ph from your tap, tested ph from the tap 48 hours after sitting, and test ph from the tank? See if they're all the same.

2 hunks in the tank isn't enough to stabilize the ph. Then his Kh would be higher, and then it wouldn't be a problem.

9. vin Well Known Member Member

Interestingly enough, I had an issue with pH fluctuations and added cuttlebone to my tank to stabilize it. My tap water is 7.0. Had no issues with it in the tank for years. All of the sudden, my pH in the tank crashes to 6.0 in the matter of a week. Nothing changed in the tanks. No idea what caused it. Tested the water from the tap and it read 7.0. Over the course of 2 days it read 7.0. Not sure why it was crashing in the tank. So I added 2 large cuttlebones in the filter reservoir and it stabilized the pH without an issue. 7.0 on the button. Not sure what my kH is. Never tested it and my water reports don't provide that data.

Hence, the reason for my comment.

10. Summer22 Member Member

I looked at my parameters log since I started tank and the pH is always 7.4 and the Nitrates used to consistently be 10 until today, due to me missing a change and starting a new food (must have fed a bit much).

So if I blame the nitrate 30 for today's deaths it still doesn't explain why I've always struggled.... Why did they die before bad nitrates??? No copper added except one root tab in January and I don't disturb the sand around it...
    Also do I have to buy a TDS tester? I don't know what these look at exactly except that it stands for Total Dissolved Solids??

11. Summer22 Member Member

Yes, they are the only store around that has shrimp. I've been there 3 times for shrimp and they are all very young when I get them (are they weaker when young?) but I think I try ordering online next time if I do.

12. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

If your root tabs have copper that could be it. Copper is toxic to inverts.

13. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Not in such tiny amounts :)

14. Summer22 Member Member

Yes I agree copper is bad but I did a lot of research on flourish root tabs and they are supposed to be just fine with inverts. Copper is minuscule in them.