Why are my platys hanging out at the top of the tank?

Bradwantstoknowaboutfish

I recently got into the hobby and am very worried about my fish. I bought a 20 gallon aquarium kit with a silentstream power filter and a 150 watt heater. I have 3 kuhli loaches, 3 snails, and 3 platys, one male two female. I have had them for about a week and have been doing water changes every monday, have a bubbler, an air pump, and have been brushing the sides almost every day. I feed them twice a day. One time with tubifex worms and once with flakes. The platys have been hanging out at the top of the tank with there mouth on the surface. They are not gasping for air or anything of the sort. There temperature is at 75 and I feel as if I am doing everything right. I hardly ever turn the light on just so they feel comfortable! Does anybody know what is wrong? I really need some help.

Flyfisha

Hi B
Welcome to fishlore.
Do an emergency temperature matched conditioned water change of 50% then and only then you need to read up on the nitrogen cycle.

The site is open 24 hours and someone is always here to help by answering questions. Today your fish are in danger. As you don’t mention the nitrogen cycle/ cycling the tank before you added fish the description of fish swimming at the surface sure sounds like ammonia poisoning ?

edit
to read of the nitrogen cycle click on the green letters

Thunder_o_b

Greetings and welcome to Fishlore :)

As Flyfisha said you need to understand the Nitrogen cycle. You are doing a fish in cycle.

Stop feeding twice a day. Once is plenty. Over feeding kills more fish than anything else. Tubaflex worms are not really a good food. A high grade food like Omega one flakes alternated with frozen San Francisco Bay brine shrimp (rinse it first) is better.

Best wishes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• aqualexis
  • Platy
Replies
Views
aqualexis
  • Rosegardener
  • Platy
Replies
Views
OneMoreBetta