Why Are My Plants Still Dieing?

1. T

TombedOrchestra Valued Member Member

Why are my plants still dieing?

I got finnex planted 24/7 LED lights 3 days ago. I also have been dosing with API Plant Grow (?) liquid fert.

Temp at 78. (55 gal).

Some plants are doing good (anubias, sword, etc). But my hornwort I just bought is still turning brown.

How can I save my plants!? I have most of my hornwort floating, they should be getting enough light now!

Thanks!

2. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

It can take more than a few days to see turn around once things start to decline. Give it a chance. :)

I ordered some hornwort in the mail once and when it got to me it was all brown. It's been weeks now and it's mostly green, but some parts are still a little brown and sad-looking and some of it was unrecoverable. I'd say plants are usually recoverable until they start disintegrating when you touch them haha

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

4. Rich Johnson

Rich Johnson Valued Member Member

I don't know much about hornwort, but plants actually "melt" (the outer leaves die off) before new leaves grow. This happened to my amazon sword. I thought it was totally dead, but it came back and is now thriving.

5. KimAnnKitz

KimAnnKitz Valued Member Member

I am having the same issues. Lost several plants 3 times. I just put new plants in my tank Thursday and so far they're good....except the hornwort is starting to brown. I had to throw a lot of it out and grow out a healthy piece in another tank. This tank has been difficult from the beginning. I was using API leaf zone but it is a couple of years old. I read some good things about Thrive which is supposed to be a more complete fertilizer. Any one have experience with it? I just started using it in the last few weeks. My substrate is Eco Complete. My NitrAtes are highish at around 40 ppm despite a huge water change last week and running Algone in the filter. They have been as high as a bright red on the color chart... Nitrates shouldn't affect plants should they?

I also have a Finnex light. It's several years old though and is just the Finnex Planted I think. Had to remove my anubias because of bad bba on them...this is a 16 gallon tank.

6. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

Highly encourage you to read Mak's post above. Super informative.
    Plants actually use nitrates, so your high nitrates should not be negatively affecting your plants. : )

7. OP
    OP
    T

8. KimAnnKitz

KimAnnKitz Valued Member Member

Thanks! I did read his linked thread. I'm glad I choose the Thrive. I didn't think the nitrates were harming the plants, but it never hurts to mention that stuff. All my other parameters are great. 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrites, pH 7.4. My tap water has Nitrates so I always start with 5-10 ppm. At first fish were dying, now plants.

9. OP
    OP
    T

Yes, I just read Mak's link on his post (which I read before but it was a good refresher...) BUT I just watched the video that came with it that breaks down each liquid Fert.

Great video. Seems like Thrive is the best catch all for anything. I'll get me a bottle of that!!!!

10. -Mak-

You watched my video so now you probably know that aqueon plant food lacks nitrogen and phosphorus and low potassium.
    Thrive is awesome, just remember to keep up with the recommended water changes in the instructions :)

11. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Plants feed off of nitrates so they are good for plants.

I’ve been using Trive in my tanks BUT it contains nitrates so I am going to quit using it in my heavily stocked tanks.

Going with the NilocG Macros and Micros on alternating days in my heavily stocked tanks.

I used them for a few weeks and they were good. I bought the Thrive because it’s easier but noticed my nitrates were too high with my normal water change schedule in the heavily stocked tanks.

I think all of the NilocG products are good.

12. -Mak-

Just for reference, a while back when I started a new non CO2 tank I was dosing Thrive until nitrates were up to 80 ppm and doing a 3-5x overdose of excel. Daily water changes to keep algae away. No livestock, plants loved it and took off.

13. OP
    OP
    T

Hi, Mak! Thanks again for doing that thorough post / video.... very very helpful. Yes, I did see that it lacks those nutrients. I do have problems with nitrates in my tank, though... so maybe Thrive is not a good option for me.

I have a 55 gal, and the water source at our house is not usable (very high sulfur content). So I end up having to go down to our local spring (about 8 miles away) and hauling it back to our house. Doing weekly changes is a challenge hauling that much water!

Anyway, increasing nitrates would not be a good solution for me, I don't think.

Do you think it'd be better for me to stick with Aqueon Plant Food and supplement another fert for nitrogen and potassium? Or would it be better for me to switch to another fert altogether?

Thanks!

14. -Mak-

What nitrate level does the water come with?

15. OP
    OP
    T

Both my tap and the spring come with 0 nitrates to begin. Nitrates have moved into the 40-80 range for a while. However, I've been able to recently get them down to around 20 with more frequent 50% water changes. I think also my strong increase in plants have helped soak up some of the nitrates.

16. -Mak-

Can you perhaps attach a picture of your plants? The healthy ones too
    The trouble is even if nitrates and phosphates are high enough, with the 24/7 the plants will have a faster growth rate and the other macros and micros may become deficient.

17. OP
    OP
    T

Mak, I appreciate your time talking me through this!!

I'll post some pics when I get home this PM!

To be clear, it's the finnex planted 24/7 (which I'm SURE you knew I was talking about that..) So my lights aren't really on full blast 24/7, it goes through the cycle. So, it should be just the right amount of light.

Out of curiosity, why would that make the nutrients deficient? Wouldn't more (or the correct..) light make everything more 'natural' and utilized in the most efficient way?

18. OP
    OP
    T

Hi, Mak!

Here is where I'm at with my plants!

Let me know your thoughts!! Thanks!

19. -Mak-

Well, since light is what controls growth rate, plants will grow up to a certain speed that the light allows (if they're not limited by nutrients and CO2). With more light and faster growth, they'll use more nutrients to fuel that growth, and then a a certain nutrient can become "depleted" faster.

Honestly I don't think it's looking too bad, if the hornwort doesn't perk up in a week or two you could try Easy Green - less nitrates.

20. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks, Mak!

I'll let it go for another few weeks and keep adding the Aqueon Plant Food. Hopefully it at least stays the same! If not, I'll consider the Easy Green.

Thanks again for walking me through this! :)