55 Gallon Tank Why are my plants rotting instead of rooting?

Madchild57

I have a bunch of Rotala rotundafolia, anacharis, and althernanthera reineckii and they do not root. It has been 2 months and they have not rooted in the slightest. The AR has roots but they just don't attach to anything. The elodea only grows aerial roots, nothing at the base of the stem. Finally, the rotala just does not grow roots in the slightest and the part of the stem under the substrate rots.
I am using the aquarium co-op family of ferts and Flourish Advance to try to force them to root but still nothing. Any advice?

86 ssinit

These can be harder plants to grow. All of these need good lighting that reaches the bottom of the tank. Your plants are probably growing at there tops but just stems at the bottom. Not enough light reaching the bottom of the tank. Or theyre really spread out meaning there’s just not enough light.

Eelectric

What kind of substrate do you have? And what are your parameters? I've had moderate luck with rotala, sometimes it does just fine but other times it's been stubborn.

Madchild57

These can be harder plants to grow. All of these need good lighting that reaches the bottom of the tank. Your plants are probably growing at there tops but just stems at the bottom. Not enough light reaching the bottom of the tank. Or theyre really spread out meaning there’s just not enough light.
Elodea/anacharis is hard to grow? Yeah the rotala is mostly stem at the bottom but maybe only the bottom inch and the rest is growing.
What kind of substrate do you have? And what are your parameters? I've had moderate luck with rotala, sometimes it does just fine but other times it's been stubborn.
I unfortunately have just plain gravel but it's been fine for all my other plants, aponogetons, banana lillies, dwarf lily, bacopa, dwarf sag, and jungle val. Unfortunately getting nutrient substrate is a bit expensive for a 55 gallon and I would need to dig up all my other plants too.
I tried the Flourish advance hormone route to force rooting but the plants don't seem to be responding to it. I would be fine with no rooting if I didn't have cories and a pleco that will dug up unrooted plants. I've been using rocks near the base of them to prevent unrooting and it has been successful but it wasn't supposed to be permanent.
EDIT: parameters are usual, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, pH like 6.8, I haven't checked nitrate because I use a fertilizer containing nitrate but it used to be anywhere from 0-5 ppm at the end of a week right before a water change

86 ssinit

Yes anacharis can be hard to grow. Only way it grows in my tanks is by floating it. I’ve also got softer water like you. Stem plants rarely grow for me. Only place they grow is my shrimp tank. But they don’t keep growing. Usually after a year they just start dying off. Also all my tanks are plain gravel. The plants you have growing are easy growing plants. Very nice looking. Stem plants are the next step up and require more work and better lighting and for some co2.

Madchild57

Yes anacharis can be hard to grow. Only way it grows in my tanks is by floating it. I’ve also got softer water like you. Stem plants rarely grow for me. Only place they grow is my shrimp tank. But they don’t keep growing. Usually after a year they just start dying off. Also all my tanks are plain gravel. The plants you have growing are easy growing plants. Very nice looking. Stem plants are the next step up and require more work and better lighting and for some co2.
I can try floating it, for some reason it always sinks and tangles itself in my other plants. Perhaps I'll just get more bacopa because that seems to be a stem plant that works for me

Cherryshrimp420

Maybe pH too low or water too soft...just guessing here

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BillynJennifer
Replies
Views
INeedHelpLol
Replies
Views
Rye3434