Why are my plants melting? Full spectrum 16W light

LHAquatics

My water sprite and Moneywort are metling. I don't give any fertilizers and I think that's the reason why. My ph is 7.4 and I have a full spectrum 16W light. Te new shoots of the water sprite are white, so does that mean I need iron? What is a good fertilizer other than Easy green all in one? The current plants are Moneywort, Water sprite, Dwarf Aquarium Lily, El Nino Fern, and Anubias. What other plants are good for my water?

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 4.30.50 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 4.30.29 PM.png

FishPlanet

How much light do you have for them? I think the reason they are melting is because they don't have enough light. Can you post a pic of your entire tank?

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

How much light do you have for them? I think the reason they are melting is because they don't have enough light. Can you post a pic of your entire tank?
The light is on for about 9 hours. Sometimes more.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 9.58.07 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 9.58.07 AM.png
    641.1 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

Teahaus

Different water parameters or light parameters from how they were growing when you bought them. I've recently had some dwarf saggitaria that I bought looking super healthy, great colour and root system. All melted within a week of replanting in my aquarium. One month later new shoots are coming up and looks like they all survived.

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

I would get some fertilizer for them. How many hours do you keep your light on a day?

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

I would get some fertilizer for them. How many hours do you keep your light on a day?
About 9 hours

Upvote 0

Strider1520

I got melt as well on most of my plants just from being planted in new water / temperature variation, etc but they have all come back - usually with even nicer color-except for one Java fern.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

There are three main factors to healthy plant growth and I will do my best to explain. Since your plants are relatively easy to grow you will not need a co2 injected setup to grow them well. Most easy plants will adapt to most water parameters (pH, KH, GH, etc) provided they are not in the extremes.

1. Light: This is very important to plants. This is how the plant will complete the process of photosynthesis and plants will grow better in some lights than other. This is because plants utilize different spectrums of light to complete this process. Oftentimes, Red and Blue light gets absorbed for the creation of chlorophyll and green light gets reflected. That is why many aquatic plant nurseries grow their plants in red and blue light for maximum growth.

2. CO2. co2 is the single most important nutrient for plant growth as plants will respire co2 to create and release oxygen in the water column. The plants you have will not need an elaborate setup as they will do fine with the amount of co2 naturally being pushed into the water column by your filters or powerheads.

3. Nutrients: This is why many aquarists use root tabs, liquid ferts, and nutrient rich substrate. For your sake, I would begin adding some root tabs for the lily and an all in one fert for your other plants to make sure all your plants have all the elements they need to complete the process of photosynthesis effectively. Note they may have malnourished growth with a a lack of these nutrients as they will need more elements just like people to grow healthy and robust.

If your plants are fairly new in your aquarium, they will almost always melt when adjusting to new parameters and such. This is actually a sign that the plant is doing what it is supposed to do to do well. Both of the plants you mentioned are predominantly water column feeding plants, so adding an all in one liquid fert like Easy Green or Thrive may be your best option at this point if the plants don't show signs of improving.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

LHAquatics, do you plan on getting any all in one fert for your aquarium? There are a plethora of choices out there but not all of them are created equal.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

LHAquatics, do you plan on getting any all in one fert for your aquarium? There are a plethora of choices out there but not all of them are created equal.
I want to get the easy green but I am currently broke :p

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mudminnow
  • Question
Replies
Views
RonDarcy
  • Question
Replies