Why Are My Plants Going Brown/black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHELSEA BOY

Reaction score
I have had real plants in my tank for at least a year, but, over the last few months the leaves have started to turn black and brown. Not all plants are affected, mainly the ones in the middle, the plants at the end of the tank less so. I have adequate lighting and co2 and add a fertilizer once every 2 weeks, water is circulating ok through the tank. Help please, the plants in the tank are making it look awfull!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What exactly is adequate lighting? How many watts of what kind of light & what is the Kelvin rating of the light tubes/bulbs? eg: 2 x 18w T8 fluorescent, 6,700k. What are the tanks dimensions? What kind of plants are you having problems with & how much of what sort of fertilizer are you using? Also what kind of co2 rig are you using (diy, pressurized Flourish Excel?) What are the test results for KH, GH, PH, ammonia, nitrite & nitrate?

Sorry for all the questions but I need information before I can give information, otherwise I'm just guessing.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 Nutter.

Also, you mention that the tank has been running for at least a year.

How old are the light tubes?

Tubes tend to have a half-life of 6-8 months, and should be replaced [even though they still work] every 8 months, 12 months at the latest.

Cheers.

edit: BTW - Welcome to fishlore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%