Why are my nitrates so bad right now??

Jayce0

There was something wrong with my betta- his dorsal fin was torn, and the edges were black. He was somewhat lethargic too, not swimming energetically like usual. Yesterday, he was completely fine, I upgraded his tank a bit by adding a piece of driftwood from my other tank and some newly bought plants. Before doing a water change to help him heal, I decided to test the water to see if anything was wrong there (prior I just assumed he ripped his fin on the driftwood and couldn't swim well because of the tear), pH was a tad low, naturally, due to the driftwood, but when I did the last tube, the nitrates, my heart dropped when I opened up my hand after shaking it for a minute to see pure red. I have owned 2 fish tanks and have never seen red. I think it's 80 ppm? Honestly hard to tell, the 40 ppm and 80 ppm color shades look identical to me.

What in the heck happened? I didn't check the parameters yesterday, but I doubt it was this bad. One of the nerites died a couple of days ago? Could that be it? Wouldn't I have noticed symptoms sooner? I can't help but to think it was something I added, like the driftwood, but my other tank's parameters are fine.
1624579316205.png

StarGirl

How often and how much water do you change? Nitrates build and build. Regular water changes keep it down and under control. Have you checked your tap water?

Upvote 0

Jayce0

How often and how much water do you change? Nitrates build and build. Regular water changes keep it down and under control. Have you checked your tap water?
I do water changes every week, about 25%. I use a pipet to clean up the snail poo. I remember checking the parameters then and everything was great. I don't use my tap water (not even I would drink it.. so metally), I use purified water from gallon jugs (I condition it of course).

And I forgot that I was suppose to wait 5 minutes for the color to fully develop.. it got darker..

Upvote 0

Jayce0

Are you dosing ferts or anything?
I did Monday I believe, just about 2 mm. I just did a 50% water change and checked the water again, it's orange now, so around 10-20 ppm. Should I do a water change again?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I would say if you are in the orange you are fine. Thats how I read the Nitrate test. Orange good, Red bad change water. lol

Upvote 0

Jayce0

Oh, and here's some pics of him- his dorsal fin is weirdly folded down so can't get a good picture:

1624582866759.png1624582871543.png1624582877312.png
I would say if you are in the orange you are fine. Thats how I read the Nitrate test. Orange good, Red bad change water. lol
Ah, that's good at least. Hopefully the plants suck it all up.

Upvote 0

Jayce0

So i just checked the nitrates again and.. i got no reading?? Is that right..? Its only been a day.. and my fish is doing worse. Now he doesnt even have the energy to lie on the floor and occasionally get up for air, hes just lying on top of the sponge on the filter (which is very close to the surface). Hes not moving much.. his dorsal fin is still bad too, not healing..

Upvote 0

StarGirl

The nitrate test is very picky did you do it right?

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

So i just checked the nitrates again and.. i got no reading?? Is that right..? Its only been a day.. and my fish is doing worse. Now he doesnt even have the energy to lie on the floor and occasionally get up for air, hes just lying on top of the sponge on the filter (which is very close to the surface). Hes not moving much.. his dorsal fin is still bad too, not healing..
What are your nitrite and ammonia readings?

Upvote 0

Jayce0

The nitrate test is very picky did you do it right?
Yep, I even did it a second time. I have the instructions burned into my memory now.. and the fact that I still don't even know where the nitrates came from makes this all the more infuriating.
What are your nitrite and ammonia readings?
None and none.
Ah.. ha.. guys.. this may be it for my betta.. hes starting to *pinecone*. Im genuingly unbelievably sad, Daffodil (his name) brought so much happiness to me : ((((((( I seriously dont know what to do, and why all 3 of the bettas Ive owned this past year died or are dying..
Ah.. hopefully this isn't the death of my thread.

Just as an update: Daffo is still doing good (as in the same), he's been lying in this very specific position where it kinda looks like he's sitting upright, before suddenly swimming up for air. When swimming he looks heavy. His other fins oddly look fine. He didn't eat dinner, but hopefully he'll eat what fallen on the substrate throughout the night (before the ramshorns do). I'm currently treating with ParaGuard.

Attachments

• 20210628_173921.jpg
    20210628_173921.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Latest threads

Top Bottom