Why Are My Nitrates Rising So Quickly?

therehere3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello everyone!
I am here with a bit of a problem.....
I am fighting nitrates for awhile now...........

specs:
55g tank
1 pleco, 4 baby cory cats, 1 peacock eel, and 4 mollies.
3 HOB tetra filters
76()F temp constatly
7.2pH constatnly
0ammonia and 0nitries constantly (im cycled very well)

I have been getting high nitrates from 5ppm to 40ppm in a matter of 2 days........... ****??
So I cleaned out all of my built-up fish waste/food in my filter housings. and did an entire water change now bringing the tank to 0ppm-5ppm nitrate again.
Another 48 hours passes, and my nitrates are like 30-40ppm again..............

My load isnt too high for my 55g.
1 pleco, 4 baby cory cats, 1 peacock eel, and 4 mollies.

Of course, I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, (i've been a cycled tank for awhile now).

I'm not sure why my nitrates just going so **** high so quickly!!!
Any ideas of what I can do?

p.s: I do not over-feed. I under-feed by a lot now since I am trying to lower nitrates.
p.s: I use API master kit test
p.s: my tap is about 0ppm-5ppm nitrate

the guy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
have you tried testing the water from your source? also do you have any real plants?

therehere3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
have you tried testing the water from your source? also do you have any real plants?
Like I stated in my original post, I have tested my tap which is very low 0-5ppm. (not the problem here :/ )

Also, no I do not have any live plants; nor do I want any (i know they can consume nitrates) However, that isn't solving the problem. Just would be hiding it

therehere3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
how new is your tank? have you noticed a brown film on anything in your tank?
My tank isnt new. I've had this cycle for a few months now.
Also, brown film??? Not sure what you mean?
I've had brownish tanish buildup in filter housings, however, I cleaned it all out. (that was fish waste/food ****)

the guy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
tanks that are under the 6 month mark typically have problems with diatom algae for 4 months or more. They can cause ammonia and nitrate spikes. It can be very subtle and hard to see in its beginning stages

therehere3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
tanks that are under the 6 month mark typically have problems with diatom algae for 4 months or more. They can cause ammonia and nitrate spikes. It can be very subtle and hard to see in its beginning stages
Ok so "diatom algae" ?
What does this look like? And should I be getting rid of it??
All I know about algae is that it would be beneficial because it consumes nitrates. (just like other living plants do)

the guy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
algae isn't terribly harmful unless it blooms and then dies in which case it will cause nitrate spikes.
that's what they look like. But from what you're describing maybe that's not it. Maybe your cycle wasn't completely finished before you added fish or your tank is going through mini cycles?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom