Why are my Neons FIGHTING to the death? Help

1. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

I am so confused right now and at my witt's end. I have 7 Neons, had 8 until 15 minutes ago. One of the neons is freaking out and attacking EVERY Neon! This just started tonight. He chomped one of the other Neon's head right off, beginning with the eye. Problem is, the Neons move so fast I can't pick out which one it is!!! Even if I knew which one it was I can't catch them without tearing the whole aquarium apart. I can't figure out what is stressing them out so bad! Ammonia is 0 and all the other parameters are in check! I added lots of new plants the other day and shortly thereafter my betta contracted velvet. Betta is in a tank right now by himself being treated. Could the removal of the betta have triggered the Neons to go berserk?

I know everyone is saying "whats wrong with your water?" and the answer is simply nothing. The tank is well established for months. I originally had 4 otos but each time i added the 4th it would die. Maybe the otos brought something in? Dont have a quarantine tank.. It's only a ten gallon. Please help I'm going crazy! Why is my fish going nuts?

2. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

o.0 sure its a neon?? your neon isnt turning pale and having a constant craving for the flesh of its own kind is it? Zombies, the only answer.

But seriously...that is new to me.

3. OUTINFRONT Member Member

Probably i sick fish the one that got eaten that is.I know when any fish i had grew weak the others would swarm tearing of fins.I usually remove the weak so they have a quite last few days.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Perhaps the tank is not big enough.

5. snapper Well Known Member Member

Zombie fish LOL good one Sol.

6. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

A 10 gallon isn't big enough for 8 neons? That's absurd.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I do not believe it is a water quality issue but a species issue.

Starting out with 20 Neons myself, they chased and picked on each other and nipped each others' tails off until they died. I have 4 survivors out of 20 and are doing great.

Each one that I pulled out of the tank had no tail. I saw it with my own eyes and the aggression they were displaying toward each other was amazing.

No more Neons for me.

Ken

8. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

Thanks,Ken! I'm kind of limited as to what I can have due to the small tank size. I'm going to try adding 3 more Neons to make 10 to see if that helps. My betta is in his own tank now.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

No, it's really not absurd. The idea that things work 100% of the time is what is absurd. Should it work? yes, but that doesn't mean that it WILL WORK. They are living creatures, not machines, so some don't fit the mold. Absurd is dismissing an idea without a second thought.

You know, you start this thread because your fish are killing each other and you have no idea why. It's pretty rude to meet someone's suggestion for figuring out the root of YOUR problem with such disdain.

10. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

A tank is not considered "established" until it is at least 6 months of age. Species like otos don't do well in newer tanks. I don't think it was a matter of the otos bringing something in. I think it was a matter of putting a sensitive species in a non-established environment.

There are times when we all have to accept the blame, or credit if you will, for bad things that happen in our tanks.

11. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

Um excuse me... My tank is over 8 MONTHS established! That was sort of rude of you to talk about "accepting blame." Regardless, I solved the problem by adding more Tetras.