Why Are My Guppies Dying Just With In A Week Of Purchase

1. rstampa

rstampa Initiate Member

I purchase 4 guppies last week and they all died with in a few days of each other.
    I returned them a got replacement for the 4 I lost and purchased 2 additional guppies. Now less then a week later 3 of them died. There are no signs of attack, chasing or nipping no injury at all.
    Water condition etc.

I have a 65 gal planted tank. The PH is 7.2 with a CO2 injected. My ammonias are 0-.25. Nitrates and Nitrites are all in normal range. The KH 3-4, GH 10-12. Temp 78 degrees. I do a 50% water change weekly for the past several years.
    So all my water parameters are in great shape.
    I have 12 neon tetras, 5 black tetras, 10 glow tetras, 6 platies, 2 algae eaters, 2 cory cats, 1 male molly and 1 horn snail. The all live in peace and are healthy.
    I have raised guppies since I was 8 years old and never had a problem until now.
    Please advise a expert on what you think may be the problem.

2. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

I am not an expert, but I think the problem is weak stock and unhealthy breeding practices. I too purchased some guppies a while back, along with some cardinal tetras for a new but well cycled tank. One guppy looked a little bloated, but good advisors thought he was just fat. So, I continued stocking my tank and added more guppies and cards 2 weeks later. Watched parameters like a hawk and all was good there. Fat guppy suddenly became lethargic and stopped eating. Long story short, fat guy was actually sick and I ended up losing everything in the tank.

I have no basis for comparison, but through the forum here I talked to some hardcore guppy keepers and the consensus was that stock available at most LFS's is suspect and that I should get future guppies from a trusted breeder.

Just my 2¢ after a bad experience.

3. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I think your opinion is worth waaayy more than two hundredths of a cent. :)

When we’re dealing with genetically poor stock, why don’t we see rampant symptoms in the tanks at the store? Or, are they dying and being removed so fast that we don’t see it?

4. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Oops!!! :) I can't leave it like that.:rolleyes: I must fix it.

5. capecodder

capecodder Member Member

I can't keep guppies alive in my tank at all..I have DG, zebra's, panda cories, tetra's

6. luckdown

luckdown Member Member

Yeah I agree it's the stock. Everything i get from the stores around me die in a few days. But everything I've gotten from breeders has had no issues at all. It's a shame.

I think they do get replaced so quickly we just don't notice. My store typically has a complete stock change at least once a week.