Why are my fish inactive and hiding? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by MeganS, Nov 30, 2012.

1. MeganS

MeganS Valued Member Member

Hi everyone!

First, I would like to mention that all of my aquarium info is up to date and accurate. Now for the problem. For quite awhile now my fish, mostly the neon tetras and a few of the flame tetras, have been hiding in the plants toward the bottom of the tank. Only a few of the flame tetras and the dwarf gourami swim actively. They all seem healthy otherwise. I feed NLS thera A and they are all eating well. They are very active during feeding time but soon after they go back to hiding. They also come out and are more active at night when their light is off. You can see pictures of my tank here: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/members-fish-tanks/131299-my-planted-tank.html

My best guess is that the fish are stressed, but by what? My tank is planted fairly densely and they are fed high quality foods. I don't know what to think. Any ideas? Thanks! :;shat

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Megan :)

You've probably checked the obvious..ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
    Any sudden change in pH, water temperature or tap water?

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

If your water parameters all seem fine, do you think that maybe some of the other fish might be bullying them? I know its hard to watch them 24/7 but it could be a possibility???

4. OP
    OP
    MeganS

MeganS Valued Member Member

I checked my parameters and they are all fine. There hasn't been any changes that I am aware of. I can't be sure that the tap water hasn't been changed though. My water has high levels of chloramine so I dose with extra prime. The flame tetras do seem to bully the neons a little but I don't know if it is enough to be a problem. It is a possibility though.

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

It very may well be.... I have 2 tetras ( one neon and one ember ) out of the many tetra's I have that are quite shy - they have always been shy and they don't get picked on that I can see. Those two are the only ones that "fall out" of the school some times while all the others stay together. I just chalk it up to their personality much like us humans have. I prefer to be alone while my hubby likes to be in groups.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice