Why Are My Fish Dying? Help

1. K

Kei Initiate Member

have a 50 gallon tank with proper maintenance and care. The water is normal with proper changes. The fish in this tank have lived for almost a year now but I recently placed a betta fish in there to see if it is ok. However, the next day the betta fish was DEAD along with my platie and lyretail molly.. The next day my 2 fancy guppy died AFTER the betta died. They swam fine for a day after the betta's death. I included in the first photo the picture before one of them died, he was swimming with his two side fins.. his tail wasn't moving.
    I also included most of my fish in the photo, excluding the albino cory.
    Now the remaining fish in my tank are
    1 shubunkin
    3 albino cories
    4 Swordtail fish
    1 Lyretail molly
    1 harlequin sailfin molly
    A handful of platies

Attached Files:

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

There has to be something chemically wrong with your water. A disease can't spread and cause all those fish that fast. Check your pH again. Do you have any young children that might have wanted to give them a drink of something? That situation is very abnormal. Theck the temperate too. May the heater malfunctioned.

3. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

agree with above... also you said your water is "normal" but didn't list specific parameter test results for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. can you pls tell us that info? I realize you said you've had your tank a year & do regular maintenance but sounds like something has gone wrong so best to check :)

4. OP
    OP
    K

Kei Initiate Member

Yes but the fish who have died have missing fins or fins/tails that appear bitten off.
    The guppy's tail who didn't work anymore had like portions of the tail missing as well the albino cory who died was missing its top fins.

5. OP
    OP
    K

Kei Initiate Member

Yes but the fish who have died have missing fins or fins/tails that appear bitten off.
    The guppy's tail who didn't work anymore had like portions of the tail missing as well the albino cory who died was missing its top fins.

6. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Sometimes fish will begin to munch on other fish once they've died...especially on the fins. That's why we are asking for water perameters.