Why are my fish dieing??? Help

1. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

I've had my fresh water tank for about a year, I do water changes about every week or to. I feed my fish about every day or 2 and monitor the PH and the Nitrates, and nitrogen, also my temp. Is at a solid 80 during the summer and I lower it to 76'F during the winter. Yet after a couple weeks of having a fish the just randomly die. I have no clue to why. My gf has a 50g tank and mines a 75g we both do the exact same thing to each tank yet my fish die. Idk what to do I love having a aquarium but I can't afford to keep supplying it bc my fish randomly die....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

My tank

Attached Files:

3. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

Nitrites are fine

4. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, if you have no fish living then you may not be cycled. If you had it up for a year but fish don't live, that is my guess.
    What are you testing your water with? Strips or another method? I like the API liquid test.
    Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle?
    If so, then we need to talk about how you acclimate them, where you purchase them, things that may cause issues.
    Hope you can resolve the issues!

5. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

I have had fish in the tank for the past year but it seem like anytime I get above 10 fish they die off until there is about 5. And I use test strips and all my levels are perfect. I always buy from trusted Stores such as feeder supply or local stores that I can trust. When I acclimate them I let them sit in the bag in the water for about 30 min then start introducing the tank water into the bag for about another hour. 1 cup ever 15-30min. I honestly don't know what's wrong like I said my gf does the exact same thing to her tank and her fish thrive. Heck they even do more than that. They breed like crazy.

6. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

Also I've had a pleco and it's lived about the past 11 months in the tank and randomly died about a day ago.

7. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

also I do know about the nitrogen cycle.

8. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

I would advise investing in a liquid test kit. Also are you quarantine ing your new arrivals?

9. sophi Well Known Member Member

Regular test strips are extremely inaccurate. Try to get an API test kit and test all levels especially ammonia. Ammonia will kill fish easily, and the fact that you said they seem to die whenever you go over about 10 fish leads me to think it's a water quality issue. I don't see any live plants in your aquarium, so you have to under stock it a bit unless you do frequent water changes. I'm not familiar with larger aquariums and what you can put in them though, so I'd ask someone else about your stocking. One small spike though can and will kill your fish, so it's best to stock less.

If you can, try to add live plants to help with the water quality, unless the fish you have eats them.

10. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

Hopefully I can get new plants today to help with that and get api testing strip.

11. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

But thanks for your help I'll let you know what happens and keep everybody updated with this issue until it's resolved :)

12. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

More frequent water changes will help more than the plants. If it is an ammonia spike, the plants won't do very much at all (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The plants are really just absorbing the end stage nitrates.

I would do frequent water changes, maybe 2 or 3 a week until you are absolutely sure your water levels are stable. Leaving it to two weeks is too infrequent, imho.

13. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

Yeah I just baught the api master testing kit lol and I've been doing 2 -3 times a week water changes now

14. Charles Wagner Initiate Member

I had a similar problem, in a 20 gallon. I got a fluval 206 (the 40 gallon canister) and went to 25% changes monthly. I also went back to tap water with conditioner and everything went happy . I now have a 72 gallon with a aqua clear 110 and the fluval 206 together and so far all is still good. What filter are you using ? After that I always oversize mine. Also do you have a bubbler or some air source ? Could be to not getting enough oxygen into the water ?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

I baught a api master kit and all my levels seems to be fine as of now. I think I just had a ammonia spike.

16. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

Also there seems to be algae growing inside my filter. Should I clean it off or leave it as it could be useful for the tank. All my levels are normal nitrate and nitrite at 0, no ammonia, and pH is 6.9

17. Charles Wagner Initiate Member

I would probably leave it alone, I know the filters grow bacteria for the bio filters. Only thing I try to clean out of my filters is the pre filter sponges that catch the old food/fecies/grim and the carbon bags