Why Are My Fish Bloated? Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Tuesday, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Tuesday

TuesdayValued MemberMember

I have discus, gouramis, up until yesterday I had two guppies. Down to one. And a small fire eel. Everybody is getting really bloated. I had the tank temp higher than usual because I was dealing with some ich. But I’m not sure if this would cause bloating like this. Water parameters are fine. There are no signs of dropsy or anything. The discus just have a little pouch, but because they’re discus I’m very concerned. I did my best to get pics but. I mean. I tried. IMG_8608.jpgIMG_8610.jpgIMG_8611.jpg

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Can you list exact water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

What do you feed them, and how much do you feed?

3. OP
    OP
    Tuesday

I don’t have the exact parameters at the moment, I’m drowning my sorrows in a hot tub. But I feed them blood worms, four small cubes a day?

4. TexasDomer

It sounds like you might be overfeeding them. Do you feed them anything else?

5. OP
    OP
    Tuesday

Maybe like a cube of brine shrimp once every three days?

6. TexasDomer

Bloodworms aren't a good choice for the majority of their diet - they're not super healthy. I would look into other frozen and live foods. A high quality flake or pellet would also be helpful.

In order to prevent stunting, juvenile discus should be fed multiple times a day with daily water changes. This will also help prevent other diseases and cure ich in your tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice