Why are my females so jumpy?

1. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I have 3 female platys, a female guppy, and a swordtail that are really jumpy, I have no clue why, I haven't put them in breeder boxes or caught the in a net since they were added. The other fish are perfectly fine. Any ideas why they are so stressed

2. TFA101

TFA101 Well Known Member Member

what are you ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels reading at, and are they new additions?

I had some swordtails some time ago and they were very nervous fish when they first were introduced. I threw in some bushy plants (which they proceeded to eat), some soft silk plants, and other sources of cover, and they settled down nicely.

3. OP
    OP
    Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I have lots of cover

4. TFA101

TFA101 Well Known Member Member

So it's not a security issue... what are your levels reading at?

If your ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is around 5-20, then its not the water. Are they new additions, and what exactly are they afraid of? Is it you, or are they just jumpy? :;sh

5. janiskfp

janiskfp Valued Member Member

If it were my platies, it would be breeding time, and the girls would be on guard 24/7. I wonder what would happen if you turned our temp down a degree or two. I hear warmer temperatures, uh, heat things up a bit. It's just an idea, and if your temps have been really steady and you think it would stress them out, more, don't do it.