Why are my females so jumpy?

1. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I have 3 female platys, a female guppy, and a swordtail that are really jumpy, I have no clue why, I haven't put them in breeder boxes or caught the in a net since they were added. The other fish are perfectly fine. Any ideas why they are so stressed

2. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

what are you ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels reading at, and are they new additions?

I had some swordtails some time ago and they were very nervous fish when they first were introduced. I threw in some bushy plants (which they proceeded to eat), some soft silk plants, and other sources of cover, and they settled down nicely.

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I have lots of cover

4. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

So it's not a security issue... what are your levels reading at?

If your ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is around 5-20, then its not the water. Are they new additions, and what exactly are they afraid of? Is it you, or are they just jumpy? :;sh

5. janiskfp Member Member

If it were my platies, it would be breeding time, and the girls would be on guard 24/7. I wonder what would happen if you turned our temp down a degree or two. I hear warmer temperatures, uh, heat things up a bit. It's just an idea, and if your temps have been really steady and you think it would stress them out, more, don't do it.