Why are my female platys so fat?!?

giannarizz

I’m writing this because i’m very concerned, now; i’m young and i’ve owned fish for my whole life. However, I don’t know what’s wrong with my female platys. We have a 20 gallon, with a filter and everything. It started off with a female and male platy, and they had some babies, the mother has passed, and she had 4 girls and 3 boys. The 4 female platys are so fat, fatter than any pregnant platy i’ve seen. This has become a problem because it’s not like they’re overfed. They have been this fat for over 3 months, they can’t be pregnant, although there are males in the tank. I will attach pictures, but I don’t know what’s wrong with them. They’re also much bigger in length then normal female platys. Please inform me if I’m doing anything wrong taking care of them Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 113

Ghelfaire

How much do you feed them? Overfeeding is the most common cause of a fish being fat.

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

They look prego and fat lol! lighter platys can have nearly invisible gravid spots. If they are in with a male, they are either pregnant or just had fry, no way around it.

Upvote 0

giannarizz

How much do you feed them? Overfeeding is the most common cause of a fish being fat.
I feed them twice a day, is that too much?
They look prego and fat lol! lighter platys can have nearly invisible gravid spots. If they are in with a male, they are either pregnant or just had fry, no way around it.
I haven’t seen any fry! They’ve been like that for months too! idk what to do,

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

Once a day would be better. Some people fast their fish once a week as well

Upvote 0

giannarizz

Ooh wow okay, i’ll take that into consideration. Thank you so much!!!

Upvote 0

Kzza

Also what do you feed? And do they act strangely at all?

Upvote 0

giannarizz

Also what do you feed? And do they act strangely at all?
I don’t notice any strange behavior, they act normal. We feed them “TetraMin Nutritionally Balanced Tropical Flakes”.

Upvote 0

Kzza

I don’t notice any strange behavior, they act normal. We feed them “TetraMin Nutritionally Balanced Tropical Flakes”.
So they have always been like this? Maybe just over feeding then.... try fasting for a day or two!

Upvote 0

giannarizz

So they have always been like this? Maybe just over feeding then.... try fasting for a day or two!
They have always acted the way that they did, but they used to be skinnier. I will fast them for two days. Thank you so much!!!!

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

I would recommend Northfin community pellets, tetra brands are like junk food in the fish world. Feed them enough so that they eat it all within a minute or two, there bellies should look plump but not grape plump. Just because you have not seen any fry does not mean they have not given birth. They will "commit cannibalism" and eat there own fry. If fish A can fit into fish B's mouth then fish A will be eaten. Feed them once a day or split there meals in 2 portions. Fast once a week. The males are not skinny so I am doubting over feeding.. You fast your fish to clear there 'poop tubes' out so they do not get constipated. XD!

Upvote 0

giannarizz

I would recommend Northfin community pellets, tetra brands are like junk food in the fish world. Feed them enough so that they eat it all within a minute or two, there bellies should look plump but not grape plump. Just because you have not seen any fry does not mean they have not given birth. They will "commit cannibalism" and eat there own fry. If fish A can fit into fish B's mouth then fish A will be eaten. Feed them once a day or split there meals in 2 portions. Fast once a week. The males are not skinny so I am doubting over feeding.. You fast your fish to clear there 'poop tubes' out so they do not get constipated. XD!
Omg thank u so much!! I will get them new food+ fast once a week! Yeah I noticed that the males aren’t skinny either, but the dad of all of the fish is quite skinnier than the others. He looks a bit weird, but thank you so much XD

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

Omg thank u so much!! I will get them new food+ fast once a week! Yeah I noticed that the males aren’t skinny either, but the dad of all of the fish is quite skinnier than the others. He looks a bit weird, but thank you so much XD
No problem!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Waterdrop
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Bettafishgal
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • faithapaul1