Why are my cherry shrimps became so inactive?

Rack
They became 3 times as less active as before, they hide most of the time and sit there doing nothing.
When I first bought them they were smaller in size and used to explore every corner of my tank.
Not sure what's going on, but here some stuffs that also changed in my tank that may contribute to this behavior.
Sorry I do not have a test kit because it's extremely hard to get one where I live.

- Constant biofilm/scum on water surface.
- Added a ludwiga repen in my tank which seems to be dying because I only use root tabs.
- Huge amount of nerite snails eggs on driftwood.
- light Green algae on substrate and plants.
- I rarely feed them shrimp pellets (one pellet a week) since there's enough algae in my tank for them.
- one shrimp gave birth, another is berried.
- Sometimes I see some pellets of my root tabs on the substrate surface.
- Amano shrimp died, forgot when because I never saw it again.

Tank is 15 gallon, with 7 ember tetras, 2 nerite snails, 2 female cherry shrimp, 1 male cherry shrimp and some baby shrimplets. I do 20% water change each week. The substrate is gravel.

Advertisement
ProudPapa
When I first introduced shrimp to my tank they were also more active, but now the females especially don't move around as much. What temperature is your tank? They will be less active in cooler temperatures.

Rack
When I first introduced shrimp to my tank they were also more active, but now the females especially don't move around as much. What temperature is your tank? They will be less active in cooler temperatures.
22 C (71 F). I remember the water was somewhere in the 10-15 Celsius range in the winter since I don't use a heater because temperature in my area never goes below 10. Could this be normal behavior?

ProudPapa
Did you add the ember tetras to the tank before or after adding the shrimp?

blushrimp1
71 is on the cool side for shrimp. Even if you have a lot of algae I think feeding them a quality shrimp food and some parboiled zucchinI would go a long ways to making them as healthy as they could be.

Rack
Did you add the ember tetras to the tank before or after adding the shrimp?
Long before.

71 is on the cool side for shrimp. Even if you have a lot of algae I think feeding them a quality shrimp food and some parboiled zucchinI would go a long ways to making them as healthy as they could be.
What temperature should they be then to be more active? How many and how often should I feed them shrimp pellets? Because last time I added about 4 shrimp pellets at once this thick biofilm/scum on the surface problem started, and still is but less than before.

Advertisement
blushrimp1
I keep my guys at 75. I think I have like 50+ shrimp, and I feed them 4 pellets a day, sometimes a couple more, plus a chunk of zucchinI every 3 days or so. Then once a week or so I don't feed them at all. I'm not sure what's going on with the scum on your water surface. I'm sure someone else here with more experience will answer that for you.

david1978
Temp is on the cool side for shrimp and cold for embers. Mid 70's minimum. Also they can't live on algae alone. They need some meat in their diet.

Rack
Temp is on the cool side for shrimp and cold for embers. Mid 70's minimum. Also they can't live on algae alone. They need some meat in their diet.
Thanks, I didn't know that ember tetras need higher temperature, I'll add a heater this time. Do you think I should remove my ludwiga repen? It filled with algae and looks like it's dying, just worried if it might give the tank an ammonia spike Here's a .

I keep my guys at 75. I think I have like 50+ shrimp, and I feed them 4 pellets a day, sometimes a couple more, plus a chunk of zucchinI every 3 days or so. Then once a week or so I don't feed them at all. I'm not sure what's going on with the scum on your water surface. I'm sure someone else here with more experience will answer that for you.
So since I only have 3 adult shrimps and and some 8 tiny shrimplets (not sure), I should throw in 1 pellet a day?

blushrimp1
One pellet sounds good to me.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
OuchWorm
Replies
Views
aquaman4life
Replies
Views
-Mak-