Why are my Cherry shrimp hiding all the time ?

LanePie

So I used to see my shrimp all the time. I don’t have that many. I have 13 in a 20 gallon. I added fluval and carpeting plants and driftwood over a week period. The driftwood I added had a lot of hollow parts that I cannot see in. And the plants offer lots of cover. Since adding all the plants they rarely come out. I sometimes see a max of three shrimp out at once. Are they hiding ? Are they stressed ? Or are they enjoying themselves hidden away?

Is 13 shrimp just not enough to have to see many shrimp at a time? I just have no idea. I was really enjoying coming home from work and watching the shrimp for a couple hours before bed.

I’ve seen at least 10molts in the last two weeks. So I know they are in there. Lost one shrimp to failure to molt. That was sad. I have calcium in the tank, so I’m not sure why but he had a white line across his back.

should I add more shrimp? Should I wait until they reproduce?

Attachments

• 47EA3A11-0771-4339-95B9-809333D37076.jpeg
    47EA3A11-0771-4339-95B9-809333D37076.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 40

mattgirl

Before the number of mine exploded form the original 10 to more than I can count I seldom saw them. Once they started breeding I see them constantly but i see the most when I feed them. I feed them in half a clam shell. They all come running when the food hits the bowl. You may want to try feeding them during the time you are there to watch them.

Upvote 0

LanePie

Before the number of mine exploded form the original 10 to more than I can count I seldom saw them. Once they started breeding I see them constantly but i see the most when I feed them. I feed them in half a clam shell. They all come running when the food hits the bowl. You may want to try feeding them during the time you are there to watch them.
Where do you get half a clam shell? I would love to
Know more stuff I can feed them that they will be interested in. I put a couple different kind of pellets and wafers in there for them and they just occasionally go over them.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I just happened to have a few shells laying around. It doesn't have to be an actual clam shell. It can be any kind of low sided dish. I like to use shells because it also adds a tiny bit of calcuim to the water as it very slowly dissolves and it looks kinda neat too :D

I feed mine hikari mini algae wafers and crab cuisine. They also get mulberry leaves but their favorite is the algae wafers.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

So I used to see my shrimp all the time. I don’t have that many. I have 13 in a 20 gallon. I added fluval and carpeting plants and driftwood over a week period. The driftwood I added had a lot of hollow parts that I cannot see in. And the plants offer lots of cover. Since adding all the plants they rarely come out. I sometimes see a max of three shrimp out at once. Are they hiding ? Are they stressed ? Or are they enjoying themselves hidden away?

Is 13 shrimp just not enough to have to see many shrimp at a time? I just have no idea. I was really enjoying coming home from work and watching the shrimp for a couple hours before bed.

I’ve seen at least 10molts in the last two weeks. So I know they are in there. Lost one shrimp to failure to molt. That was sad. I have calcium in the tank, so I’m not sure why but he had a white line across his back.

should I add more shrimp? Should I wait until they reproduce?

You wont see them out with that many fish around. They will always prefer hiding

Upvote 0

richiep

Why do you have a plastic bottle in the tank

Upvote 0

LanePie

Why do you have a plastic bottle in the tank
I was trying to catch worms. Which did successfully catch a few. But not enough to use that again.

Upvote 0

richiep

You'll never get rid of all the worms it's part of the eco system, you can reduce them be adding a little less food

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
LilyPipeDreams
Replies
Views