Why are my Black skirts acting so weird?

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I sat down to watch the auarium like I do every morning and I noticed that all of the black skirts were swimming everywhere and spinning around really fast. After a little more inspection there is a tetra that has a fatter belly than the rest and they are chasing the poor thing around. Is this tetra pregnant or are they just bullying?

Thanks

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It sounds like Spawning!! The fat belly one is a female, and she's dropping her eggs. The males are fertilizing/eating the eggs. It basically means that they feel comfortable enough in your tank, and think that its safe enough to reproduce, so good job!

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Will any of the eggs survive??

I have plants and caves for them to hide in

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What size gravel do you have? Sometimes the eggs will fall down in the gravel and be protected. You might get one or two babies to live. If you really want to get babies, the next time the female gets chubby, put her in a ten gallon aquarium with 2 or 3 males. The bottom of the aquarium should be 1 layer of marbles, so the eggs can fall down and be safe from hungry parents. Feed them high quality food and keep the water really clean. Once spawning is over remove the parents. Keep a sponge filter in the tank and wait to see little fishies.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads