Why are my bacopa leaves down?

So i bought "Bacopa Caroliniana" a couple weeks back. I put them in the tank and the tops parts have grown but all the bottom leaves are all still down and not standing straight up. I am not sure these are Carolinianas anymore too. They have amazing root growth but I wonder why the leaves are like that. They have root tabs and I dose Marcus Fish Tanks liquid fert

Also I just want to confirm for propogation, you snip a piece off and replant right?

Heres a pic. They are next to the rotala on the left. This pic is a bit old so the algae has since calmed down on all of the plants.
1622538640248.png

Solution
Yup, that is exactly what I mean by it, a node is a section of two leafs and an internode is the long stem connecting two nodes together. This internode section is where you want to cut the plant. I have a feeling all the new growth will be normal and erect unlike the old growth with the downwards shaped leaves as you have everything needed to grow healthy Moneywort in your setup.
thank you!! I will cut them tomorrow an replant them! all the leaves at the top (new growth) are all pointing straight out besides the bottom, and the top part looks way better than the bottom half.
So i bought "Bacopa Caroliniana" a couple weeks back. I put them in the tank and the tops parts have grown but all the bottom leaves are all still down and not standing straight up. I am not sure these are Carolinianas anymore too. They have amazing root growth but I wonder why the leaves are like that. They have root tabs and I dose Marcus Fish Tanks liquid fert

Also I just want to confirm for propogation, you snip a piece off and replant right?

Heres a pic. They are next to the rotala on the left. This pic is a bit old so the algae has since calmed down on all of the plants.
View attachment 793108
This also happens to me, but It only happened to my low-tech tank.. but the others that I put outside don't do this. I think your lighting is probably responsible for this.

This also happens to me, but It only happened to my low-tech tank.. but the others that I put outside don't do this. I think your lighting is probably responsible for this.
I dont know about that. My light is pretty strong. Some pinks and reds are coming from the rotalas now and thats just from the light. I have 2 lights on the tank and the one in the back is extrememly bright with really good PAR

First things first, the plants you have in that tank look like Moneywort, not
Bacopa Caroliniana. Side by side, the differences between the two become clear.

0524211402c.jpgMoneywort, what you have. Notice the tall straight stems and the narrower leaves.

0524211401b.jpgCaroliniana, what you thought you had. Notice the leaves are much broader and rounder and the stems are not completely vertical.

Second, the leaves tend to point down as the plant grows over time with old leaves. If these are the old leaves, trim the top part of the stem with 6 or 7 nodes to create a new plant and replant the new stem. Also leave the old stem and new shoots should begin to form. I do not believe this is a fert issue, but were the leaves pointing down like this when you first got the Bacopa?

First things first, the plants you have in that tank look like Moneywort, not
Bacopa Caroliniana. Side by side, the differences between the two become clear.

View attachment 793190Moneywort, what you have. Notice the tall straight stems and the narrower leaves.

View attachment 793191Caroliniana, what you thought you had. Notice the leaves are much broader and rounder and the stems are not completely vertical.

Second, the leaves tend to point down as the plant grows over time with old leaves. If these are the old leaves, trim the top part of the stem with 6 or 7 nodes to create a new plant and replant the new stem. Also leave the old stem and new shoots should begin to form. I do not believe this is a fert issue, but were the leaves pointing down like this when you first got the Bacopa?
It looks a lot like moneywort! I was hoping it was caroliniana that just didnt fully change but oh well. The leaves were already pointing down when I got them like that.

Do you mean nodes as in each leaf layer?

It looks a lot like moneywort! I was hoping it was caroliniana that just didnt fully change but oh well. The leaves were already pointing down when I got them like that.

Do you mean nodes as in each leaf layer?
Yup, that is exactly what I mean by it, a node is a section of two leafs and an internode is the long stem connecting two nodes together. This internode section is where you want to cut the plant. I have a feeling all the new growth will be normal and erect unlike the old growth with the downwards shaped leaves as you have everything needed to grow healthy Moneywort in your setup.

thank you!! I will cut them tomorrow an replant them! all the leaves at the top (new growth) are all pointing straight out besides the bottom, and the top part looks way better than the bottom half.

Solution

Latest threads

Top Bottom