Why Are My Baby Guppies Dying?

1. Piggy50 Initiate Member

I had 19 baby guppies one of them has died already and there is another one that I'm going to lose. There one that I'm going to use I have separated into a little cup to keep away from the other fish. It's mostly laying at the bottom. It has trouble swimming, something might be wrong with it's tail. It also has trouble staying upright. Their three weeks old, almost four, what do I do?

2. Terabyte Member Member

Ok so are these guppys you got from one of your own guppies?

3. Piggy50 Initiate Member

Yes they are

4. Terabyte Member Member

Ok so when you have fry sometimes they are born with defects, one of those is a crooked tail. Does the fish look like its tail is bent weird?

5. Piggy50 Initiate Member

Slightly at the end. But when he try's to swim it looks bent. Right now he's just laying on the bottom so I can't really tell.

6. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

It's very common to lose a few newborn fry. As already mentioned they can be born with defects. It is also common for them to deliver a few days prematurely. Especally if they are shocked in anyway like bringing them home from a fish store or moving them close to due date. Just the same as humans, premature is problematic. Keep them in clean water and try to get them to eat just a little bit. Placing a small weed in the container can help with that. After your fish reach about a week old, very few should die if you take good care of them.

7. Piggy50 Initiate Member

Thanks for the help. This is my first time taking care of baby fish. Their three weeks old and I have had no problems up to this point. I change there water 2-3 times a day because it gets dirty. Unfortunately I did not have a separate tank to put my fishes in so they just have a little plastic container. They seem perfectly happy though. Also, do baby guppies shed their skin when they get older? Because I'm seeing little white cleanish things in the water. I have a frog in a bigger tank, he sheds is skin every week and the things in my baby guppies water looks like the frog skin, just a lot smaller.

8. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

No they do not shed. And you should find them a larger container as they grow or their growth will be stunted.

9. Piggy50 Initiate Member

I will find them a larger container soon. But what's in the water? Whatever it is it's not in there very long because I change the water so often. But still, is it enough to hurt the fish?

10. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I'm not certain. When I have kept guppies in a small container briefly, all I usually see is excrement and a bit of uneaten food if I accidentally overfeed. Frequent water change is the key to keeping them alive as you know.

11. Piggy50 Initiate Member

Okay thanks for the help