Why Are My Anubias And Java Ferns Losing Leaves?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by ViolentRainbow, Aug 19, 2019.

1. ViolentRainbow

ViolentRainbowNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought some anubias, not sure what kind but it's on a piece of driftwood very long stems with large round flat leaves, and some large java ferns. I'm annoyed because after about a week doing fine in the tank some of the anubias leaves turned bright yellow and fell off and some others seem to be rotting from the edge of the leaf moving inwards leaving mushy mess floating around my tank. It's not all the leaves only about 1/3 of the leaves are doing this. The java fern is doing better they lost a few leaves each turning brown and mushy while others are kinda turning see through. Will this stop on its own or should I do something? I use a small dose of seachem flourish in the tank only about 1/2 the recommended dose, the tank is 35 gallons and kept around 25 degrees C and I only have the lights on maybe 5 hours per day plus I use cut up place mats with holes in them on top of the tank so the light is filtered and not so strong. What am I doing wrong?

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,071
    Experience:
    2 years
    They are most likely getting used to your tank and "melting" like pretty much all plants do when introduced to different parameters. Remove the damaged leaves to allow the plant to focus on new growth rather than trying to repair already damaged or too far gone leaves. Pics?

3. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,368
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I use no ferts of any kind and my 3 Anubias have never lost leaves. The Java ferns, on the other hand, do seem to go through a cycle of growing baby plants on the older fronds and then the old ones gradually turning brown and decaying. I leave the dying leaves in for my snails and shrimp to graze on. The baby Ferns eventually break loose after putting out dark roots that they use to try to latch onto something and anchor themselves. The Anubias Nana variety has become my favorite plant.

They say Anubias do well in shade and don't like too bright of a light but do need more than 5 hours a day. I would leave your lights on longer. Mine stay on for 10-12 hours a day. I don't use timers though.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. pongoandfriends22

pongoandfriends22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Are you covering the rizhomes? It’s where all the nutritional matter goes into the plant and if it is covered, your plant will lack nutrients.