Why Are Gsp Polyps Are Longer Earlier In The Light Cycle

Discussion in 'Soft Coral' started by Paulsz, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Paulsz

PaulszValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi all,

I've noticed that when the lights first come on (during the ramp up), my GSP's polyps are much longer and flow so nicely. But once the light comes on at full strength, they shorten a lot and stay like that for the rest of the day. My ramp up are blues and purples only. The cool white and other colours don't come on until later.

Anyone know why this is? First pic is earlier in the light cycle

IMG_20180317_113608.

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,992
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Giving this a bump up for you

3. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years
    It may be getting too much light. Do you know how much PAR they're getting? Either way I wouldn't worry about it as they look healthy.

4. OP
    OP
    Paulsz

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    1 year
    I was thinking they may be getting too much light as well
    I have an ai prime hd on a 35 cube (20" each side). The light is at a high power but the gsp I maybe 3" off the bottom. I didn't think the light would be that strong. Maybe I could lower the light a lottle and see if it gets better.

Thanks!

5. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years
    I'd try that. Do you have any other corals? Those AI Primes are bright, do you know what percentage they're at? @Nart runs one, I'd ask him what his schedule and lighting percentages are at.

6. OP
    OP
    Paulsz

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    1 year
    I run it at these settings (see row above the chart)

IMG_20180319_205248.

I have sympodium at around the same height. It's a small frag and I haven't seen much growth since I got it in January. It is also closed at times during the day.

I have a mushroom at the floor bed and it opens up nicely everyday. Again not much growth though.

And lastly I have a purple Monti about halfway up the tank (8" from water surface). This one has been Browning since I got it a few weeks ago but I believe that's due to my pH being 7.9 more than the light. Since a lack of light would bleach it instead of brown it (from my understanding)

7. Nart

NartWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Dude. those settings are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too high. That's why your monti is browning and the GSP doesn't extend as much.
    The max settings you have are for a SPS dominant tank. At max setting, the AI Prime HD being about 8.5" above the water was putting out 356 PAR towards the top of the tank. 247 PAR at the middle of the tank. and 162 PAR at the bottom of the tank.

Monti caps can get used to high lighting but has to be slowly acclimated.
    AI Prime HDs are very powerful lights, definitely don't underestimate what it's capable of.
    Also, you have your lights on for wayyyy too long.

In your 35 cube, here's what I would suggest.
    Have your lights run for max of 8-9 hours a day, with a 1 hour ramp up and down. If you want to view your tank at night for your own viewing pleasure. have just the B and RY at 5%, everything else 0% for a few hours, then all channels should be off till next day.

During max peak setting, your intensity should look something like this:
    UV: 75%
    V: 75%
    RY: 79%
    B: 80%
    R/G: 4%
    W: 16%

@grantm91

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    Paulsz

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you! I started off the tank with something closer to what you have. Mid 80s for the blues and the rest is relative to that. Only in the last month did I increase it after watching a video of the prime hd par readings in a cube tank :S I'll lower them and see what happens