Why Are Ghosts So Cheap?

AJE
Why? If they are so hard to breed?

midna
they really aren't that hard to breed. they're actually pretty easy. maybe you're thinking of amano shrimp...? they're used as feeders a lot of the time, just as you'll see cheap feeder goldfish. they don't have a very long life expectancy either, unless under proper care.

AJE
Oh really? A few on this forum told me they are hard to breed
they really aren't that hard to breed. they're actually pretty easy. maybe you're thinking of amano shrimp...? they're used as feeders a lot of the time, just as you'll see cheap feeder goldfish. they don't have a very long life expectancy either, unless under proper care.

midna
yeah, i've seen some people say that, but i've also seen them say they need brackish water, which is false. google search made it sound easy. maybe they aren't as prolific breeders as cherry shrimp?

david1978
They get scooped out of creeks by the hundreds with a net so I'm sure that helps with price as well.

Lorekeeper
The problem is that there are a ton of species sold under the name "Ghost shrimp".

Some are true freshwater. But others are brackish. There are also saltwater species, as well. Most require brackish for at least a short period early in their lives. Very few are truly "easy" to breed in a freshwater tank, or a tank that's not set up specifically to breed them.

They're so cheap because they're "good" feeders, and not really colorful. Same reason why goldfish are so cheap. When you have a facility set up to breed them, they go nuts. They're wild-caught too.

goldface
They're also native, so less costly than, say, Amanos which are usually wild-caught and imported from overseas.

In NJ, the species we have are brackish and are commonly called grass shrimp.

midna
They get scooped out of creeks by the hundreds with a net so I'm sure that helps with price as well.

is that why they're said to carry diseases? because they're wild caught?

goldface
I personally think wild-caught animals to generally be healthier and less sickly, at least from my experience. I'm talking strictly aquatic animals.

Lorekeeper
I personally think wild-caught animals to generally be healthier and less sickly, at least from my experience.
Depends on what we're talking about.

Inbred fish like livebearers, angelfish, clownfish, and other popular fish? Sure. Usually disease-free, but they're vulnerable and weak.

But, if you can get them from good breeders, you'll have a much better experience, and it's better on the environment. I try to buy all of my fish/coral aquacultured if I can.

david1978
I think that comes more from how they are transported and stored then anything else.
is that why they're said to carry diseases? because they're wild caught?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Rhyu
Replies
Views
Aichmalotizo
Replies
Views
gregoranddexter1816
Top Bottom