Why Are Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's So Much Harder Question

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by nikm128, May 19, 2019.

1. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

So like the title says, why are the electric blue variants of a JD so much harder to raise? I understand designer fish tend to have a few complications, but having to rely on sheer luck to get one to adulthood? Are they really that much harder than a normal JD?

2. Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like they are too inbred and their genetic pool is weak. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a gene or two that makes them EB but also causes health issues. Similar to fish like dragon scaled bettas where the pigment layers are so thick it causes blindness and increased likely hood of tumors.

3. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

That's about what I was expecting. It's a real shame too, they're beautiful even as juvies and can be absolutely stunning as adults.
    I saw some at a small family owned store earlier today so I'm somewhat debating if it's worth trying to raise one, what do you think?

4. DanInJakarta Valued Member Member

Mine are growing fine. Got them at 3/4" long, now 2 1/4" over about 3 months.

Are you having an actual problem or speculating?

5. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Neither really, I've just seen several people that have tired over and over to get just one to adulthood with to no avail. From what I know, the ones that are going to have problems usually run into them at about a year old, but you never know which ones are going to have problems. It seems like it's just down to luck in getting one that's healthy.
    I saw a couple today and was tempted, but then I remember how problematic they have the potential to be. I'm just curious what exactly it is that causes problems with them so that if I get some in the future I know what to look for, and if/how I can try and help them through it.

6. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Would it be a safe assumption that I can raise one of them if I can raise sub 2" discus to adulthood?
    @AquaticJ ?

7. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

You’ll notice that they’re always sold small, for whatever reason they tend to die way sooner than regular jacks. They’re hit or miss, even experienced people can have bad luck with them.

8. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh yeah, they were tiny, like the size of a pea puffer.
    I guess I have something to thing about while I'm on vacation

9. DanInJakarta Valued Member Member

Sorry for the late reply. I don't understand the connection made in the original post about "designer fish" as this variant is naturally occurring in the wild.

Perhaps these folks have trouble keeping their water to its liking?

10. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

11. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

EBJD does not exist in the wild. It was developed by an aquarist/breeder in Argentina. I believe the first to import the fish to the US was Jeff Rapps, who ran Tangled Up In Cichlids. There is still debate as to whether it is hybrid or not, even though genetic tests have shown it to be 100% Dempsey.The weakness of the strain is well documented, as fry from EBJD x EBJD spawns usually die as wigglers.

12. Morpheus1967 Well Known Member Member

Héctor Luzardo.

13. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok guys, I think I'm going to give one a try...Any tips or such?

14. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, don’t :D

15. Bdriver55 Valued Member Member

It’s honestly hit or miss if you get them from a store that takes pride in quality you should be fine I had two that got rather large about 4 to 5 inches before I gave them away then I decided I wanted to raise them again and for 6 and they all died at about 3 inches or a little less

16. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

That's what I'm gathering too, sounds like you should be in the clear after the 3" mark though