why are BP's hated?

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just think they are goofy looking. But by the numbers of them I see in pet stores,I think I am in the minority.

LauraMillar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think many people are against messing with nature and thier mouths dont close! i would never have a man made hybrid i dont want to encourage it, Besides i got tropical fish cause i didnt want something orange.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yeah its the same basic issue that people have with glo-fish , they are man-made.
Not quite. If it was just about fish being crossbreeds, people wouldn't like swordtails or rainbowfish, as both are crossbred with other fish (platies and other rainbowfish species, respectively).
The primary reason that some people have issues with blood parrots is that, when they were first hybridized, a large number of the fish lacked the ability to move their mouths enough to properly eat, and would slowly starve to death (this takes a very, very long time for fish). Because of this, many people felt it wasn't right to encourage the breeding of them.
You won't see this problem as much anymore. Basically, the ones that could eat properly were much, much more likely to survive to breed, have larger broods, etc... Thus, the negative trait got weeded out pretty quickly.
It takes time for people to change their minds on things, though, and some people may feel that, even though that particular issue has been solved, buying them will encourage people to create other such hybrids without concern for the consequences.

Last edited:

binskiboi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
dont know if i should support it or not they are cute and ugly at the same time

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The primary reason that some people have issues with blood parrots is that, when they were first hybridized, a large number of the fish lacked the ability to move their mouths enough to properly eat, and would slowly starve to death (this takes a very, very long time for fish). Because of this, many people felt it wasn't right to encourage the breeding of them.
Most people don't even know that,FWIW.
what other fish are out there created like that?
Flowerhorns.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There are a lot of crossbreeds. Most of them are either much closer genetically (it is believed that the blood parrots come from parents that are rather far apart) or end up having various deficient traits that tend to make them unattractive to aquarists.
Swordtails have been so thoroughly crossbred with platies that it's hard to find pure swordtails.
Very often, rainbowfish you find in pet stores are crossbreeds of a number of similar species.
Endlers and guppies are often crossbred.
As Nick said, many similar cichlids are crossbred.
If the two fish have close genetics, there will likely be no problem with them. It's usually only if you put two animals with fairly different genetic profiles together that you develop large problems (although there are sometimes issues with combined physical traits. I know there are some dogs that really shouldn't be paired, not because their genetics are incompatible, but because a combination of traits may cause joint, breathing, or other problems)

Most people don't even know that,FWIW.
Well, every website that I've ever seen explaining why people don't buy them has given the above explanation. When the fish was first developed and disseminated to the aquarium hobby, there were many people who refused to buy them and some even boycotted stores that carried them. Yes, there are a lot of people who don't know it, but there are also a lot who do.

Last edited:

Simey28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To be honest, I personally am not a fan of BP's not because of them being hybrids, its the way they look that doesn't appeal to me.

I don't hate them, I just wonldn't buy one.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wikipedia's blood parrot page

These are just the first five pages that popped up.
Also, not all of them are anti-blood-parrot. At least two of them merely point out that there is a controversy regarding their existence and point to the fact that they often cannot close their mouths as a big part of the reason. A third just mentions the fact that they can't always close their mouths.

Edit: Because I'm bringing up all of this negative information (only because it's the direction the conversation is going), I want to reiterate that, from what I have heard, this deformity has largely resolved itself, and that I am not saying "don't buy them," nor am I judging anybody who does. Information was asked for, and I am providing it. This is a matter of personal ethics, and is not as clear-cut as issues like betta-fighting or keeping tankbusters in 10g tanks.

Last edited:

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There are a lot of crossbreeds. Most of them are either much closer genetically (it is believed that the blood parrots come from parents that are rather far apart) or end up having various deficient traits that tend to make them unattractive to aquarists.
Swordtails have been so thoroughly crossbred with platies that it's hard to find pure swordtails.
Very often, rainbowfish you find in pet stores are crossbreeds of a number of similar species.
Endlers and guppies are often crossbred.
As Nick said, many similar cichlids are crossbred.
If the two fish have close genetics, there will likely be no problem with them. It's usually only if you put two animals with fairly different genetic profiles together that you develop large problems (although there are sometimes issues with combined physical traits. I know there are some dogs that really shouldn't be paired, not because their genetics are incompatible, but because a combination of traits may cause joint, breathing, or other problems)

Well, every website that I've ever seen explaining why people don't buy them has given the above explanation. When the fish was first developed and disseminated to the aquarium hobby, there were many people who refused to buy them and some even boycotted stores that carried them. Yes, there are a lot of people who don't know it, but there are also a lot who do.
Is there such a think as a pure Rainbow then? My favorite is Boesemani & Dwarf Neon I would hate think they where hybrids.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes. There are. If you get them as a particular species, they're likely that species (or mostly that species... there's always the possibility of some hybridizing in the past). The problem comes in when some of the less-known rainbows (there are dozens of newish species, with probably a score or more as-yet undiscovered) are sold as "assorted rainbowfish." They've often been bred in non-species-only tanks.
In some cases, it's nearly impossible to tell. I just listened to a lecture by a guy who is a biologist who specializes in genetically IDing rainbows, and he said that he can't always tell hybrids, because the genetic markers that they use are often identical between closely-related species.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had no Idea that it had so many hybrids. I assume that as long as I don't add many different species in my tank they won't make something unusal.(I assume they won't breed unless I'm trying too.) I saw one at the LFS and I couldn't find it anywhere on the web, it was mostly black, but had like a bright orange color in it's dorsil fins and tail but that is it. Do you think that might fall into a hybrid, I know it's hard to say with out a picture?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom