Why are all "quiet" and "whisper" pumps insufficient?

1. lenrely Initiate Member

I have bought and returned 4 different aerators this year, which is every brand the local stores carry. None of them can blow air through a tube that's just 6" below the water's surface, the water starts siphoning up through the airstone. At the pet shop they took a larger model out of the box for me and tested it with their own tubing, they could not get air to go through the hose. She shortened the tube to about 8" and got it to work just below the surface, bubbles coming out of the junction but not the airstone itself. I was asked what kind of tank and fish I have as a segue to recommend products I don't need (like adding a second powerhead just to substitute an aerator), while another customer was interjecting his own opinions.
    I would never ask a pet shop for advice but I had to get rid of all my equipment when I moved and I don't know the newer models or why they even make them. The old pumps you could get for $5 lasted forever and you could snake tubing all over the room. Every model on ebay says "hush" or "noiseless", and you can't trust them (she had me feel it to "prove" it had pressure, before it failed). The thing is they were never very loud to begin with. Does anyone still make a SIMPLE, NO-FRILLS box pump that actually WORKS?

Len

2. LockedBox Member Member

Have you tried Hailea brand pumps? I recently got a Hailea ACO-6602 and it works fantastically. It pumps air easily through at least 2 meters of tubing to an airstone that is 30cm underwater, and that's at the lowest pressure setting. It's pretty cheap and there are several other models in the same line that have multiple airline outlets and different motor strengths. It's also a "silent" model, but I guarantee you that this one actually pumps air as while it's running silently.

3. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I have a whisper on my 125 with no issues. I actually have the one meant for a 10 gallon too. I was told it shouldn't work but it does for me. Have you tried to move the pump up higher? I know a lot of people sit them on the backs of their tanks versus under the tank.

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

5. lenrely Initiate Member

It's a 30G river tank with a 290 GPH powerhead. I need a supplemental aerator to keep certain species that require higher oxygen levels. A simple aerator/powerhead combination worked great for me in the past.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

7. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

I have heard fabulous things about azoo, but never used any of their products for myself. however, i have had very good luck with fusion models, and highly recommend their air pumps. I'm so happy with their pumps that I hope never to have to buy another brand. Are you in a place where ordering online is possible, or are you limited to what is offered at your local fish store?

8. SJ408 Initiate Member

I think basically all air pumps will have a buzzing, as I have also tried atleast 6 different brands.