Why are all my fry female?

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok my mollys are only having female fry. I have had over 200 fry and they are all female whats up with that???

Thanks Morgan

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
well u just got urself really lucky from my very basic knowledge of genetics....anyway idk if there is some reason but u now have more females than u know what to do with congrats on ur rare chance of breeding all females

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
maybe fish are like crocodiles and turtles, when they lay their eggs, the temp conditions determine the sex of the hatchlings, maybe the temp of the water affects the mother when she gives birth? Just my two cents

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
lol well she is preg again do i will I hate my LFS one store will not take the fry till they are 2" the other till they are 1". Hellow i have 113 fry there is not way i can grow them out!!

Sory im freeking.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
this might be very far off the wall but u said 113 fry right....I think u might be able to get them to grow some if u put them into like 70+ gallon tank but who has that kinda of room i mean really that is worse than trying to breed a bettas all the male fry need their own space so good luck i really don't have any 'easy' ideas for u

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is what i have in my 20g:
1 Silver Molly (female)
1 Marble Salfin Molly (Male)
1 Red Commet Platy (Male)
2 high fined yellow/red Platies
1 Commpn Pelico
5 16 week old Mollies (just got rid of 2)
113 10 week old mollies (may be salfins)
20+ 3 week old silver molly fry

And in any time she will have more fry soon.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well just yesterday i found my fist male born in the tank. He is a lot biger than his sisters He must have been hiding when every i go near the tank. Im still trying to get rid of the fry....

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I found that it took over 2 months for me to tell which guppy fry were males. at first they all looked female and I was so depressed but the one day I looked and 3 out of the 5 ended up being males. So be patient and they might be some males in there...

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah same with my swordtail fry it took months before I could tell which ones were male, also i think pH might have something to do with the amount of males:females ratio. It be a fluke to have just 200 females and no males

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I dont check that often but i was just that i read somewhere that a pH 7.5+ or something results in a greater turn out of females and under males but it could just be genetic

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom