Why are AIO tanks not as popular for freshwater?

Zacahriah

I notice that the majority of freshwater tanks use an external filter. I used to have a freshwater set up like that years ago and was not the biggest fan of the tubes running out from the sides. Is there any reason why people don't just use AIO systems? I want to set up a new planted tank but after my Reef tank with an AIO I am having trouble justifying an external canister.

Azedenkae

I think this kinda just naturally arose through time. What probably happened was that similar equipment were utilized either way, but then because we have skimmers, reactors, etc. that started to stick out of filter systems, sumps and AIOs just naturally became more popular in the saltwater side of the hobby than internal filters, HOBs, canisters, and so on.

And then once this kind of preference was established, AIOs seems to become more popular since everyone probably started recommending them to house skimmers and stuff, especially for those who don't want a sump.

Eventually we realize we don't even need skimmers or whatever, but AIOs already become popular by then. Because after all, why not, they are really good. I really like AIOs.

In freshwater systems, I guess that just never became the case because every filter system worked, so no particular setup rose to prominence.

My theory/observations anyways.

Upvote 0

Zacahriah

I think this kinda just naturally arose through time. What probably happened was that similar equipment were utilized either way, but then because we have skimmers, reactors, etc. that started to stick out of filter systems, sumps and AIOs just naturally became more popular in the saltwater side of the hobby than internal filters, HOBs, canisters, and so on.

And then once this kind of preference was established, AIOs seems to become more popular since everyone probably started recommending them to house skimmers and stuff, especially for those who don't want a sump.

Eventually we realize we don't even need skimmers or whatever, but AIOs already become popular by then. Because after all, why not, they are really good. I really like AIOs.

In freshwater systems, I guess that just never became the case because every filter system worked, so no particular setup rose to prominence.

My theory/observations anyways.
Gotcha, Its a bummer cause its hard to find any reasonably priced freshwater tanks that have AIO's. I know saltwater companies like Innovative marine, Redsea, Waterbox all make them but they are so expensive (I think its cause of the type of glass saltwater tanks use, could be wrong tho). Ultum Nature has some and they are reasonably priced but largest is a 16.5 gal.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I just got a Fluval Flex 9g AIO, I like it so far because you can put the heater in the back compartment. I have not had to clean it yet though so I'll let you know later bout that.

Upvote 0

plantgirl04

I started a freshwater Innovative Marines 30L AIO about 6 weeks ago, just added my betta sorority on Sunday. I love how sparkling clean the water is, and how everything is hidden. My plants are still establishing but so far loving it all come together.

Attachments

• Sorority Tank.jpg
    Sorority Tank.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

LowConductivity

Great question! Those prefab AIO tanks are slick. I’ve been essentially building my own “AIO” systems for a few years now, I have always referred to them as internal sumps. Super slick way to run a tank

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
Cody
  • Question
Replies
Views