Why am I having such crazy ph and kh swings with seachem buffers and equilibrium

Fae

Hi guys, I was trying to get an answer to this on caudata but it's not working, I'm gonna combine the two posts I made here if anyone can please explain what's going on! I know the popular opinion is to leave ph alone but idk how I'm supposed to safely move one axolotl to another tank when it's wildly different... Anyway here it is!

///

Arthur, my smaller axolotl I rescued a couple months ago, has been living in a 5.5gal tank temporarily while he grows, before he joins Lavender in her 30 long. The 5.5 is starting to become obviously too cramped for him, so I made a divider for the other tank and prepared to add him in.

Luckily I checked the parameters first, because they were really different. I didn't want to shock his system, so I began trying to slowly adjust his up to meet hers. For reference, my water out the tap is ph 7-7.2, gH 2, kh 2-3.

Used seachem equilibrium, acid buffer, and alkaline buffer. The instructions are pretty confusing imo but this is what I ended up doing.

September 04

Arthur (3.5g)

pH 6.8
gH 2
kh 2

Addition of (after measuring parameters):

Acid buffer - .11g
Alkaline buffer - .21g
Equilibrium - .65g

///

Lavender: (25g)

pH 7.6
gH 4
kh 5

///

On September 06, I measure Arthur's tank again and get:

pH 6.9
gH 3
kh 2

Not sure why kh wouldn't budge and ph moved so slowly. I decided to up my dosages a little.

Addition of:

Acid buffer - .20g
Alkaline buffer - .45g
Equilibrium - .65g

///

September 07

I just checked his tank again, and this is what it's at now.

pH 7.4
gH 4
kh 10

Whaaaaat?? Why did it jump so much? My ratios are very similar to before. I decide not to do anything with it and check again in a couple days

///

Sept. 09, today

ph 7.2
gH 3
kh 5

Okay, so over two days Arthur's tank dropped
.2 ph and 5 kh, how does that make any sense? And why would it drop 1 GH when I never added any water??

///

And to make things weirder, I checked Lavender's tank and her parameters haven't changed at all since I tested on Sept. 04. What the heck is going on here??

richiep

It's well known that trying to keep perameters stable in a small tank like your 5.5g is a nightmare on times,
Using chemicals like you are to get your water right is never going to be spot on every time.
That kh jump is something I'd not worry about at all
Lavenders tank is a lot easier to maintain because of its size
If Arthur is ready I'd move him now

Fae

It's well known that trying to keep perameters stable in a small tank like your 5.5g is a nightmare on times,
Using chemicals like you are to get your water right is never going to be spot on every time.
That kh jump is something I'd not worry about at all
Lavenders tank is a lot easier to maintain because of its size
If Arthur is ready I'd move him now
Thank you, I did end up moving him. My understanding of chemistry is too weak to ever solve this mystery, I'll just chock it up to being too small of a volume of water like you said and leave it at that

I added him tonight and they immediately started desperately trying to get through the divider. So much for one being juvenile I guess lol

richiep

Love at first site

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
michaelsf90
  • DesertDweller42
  • pH
Replies