Whose Responsibility Is It?

Basia

Reaction score
When I first went into the fish store to buy the aquarium and fish, I fully thought the person at the store would be helpful to my decision making. I thought that was what they were there for. I did ask questions and after getting vague answers, I just bought whatever I thought looked pretty. As you can imagine, this did not go well. Now I know better and do do research, but I find it somewhat unethical for fish store workers to not know (or not care to share their knowledge) enough about fish. If we have an ethical aquarium store nearby I would happily pay more for fish to be able to rely on the workers' expertise.

BAS Aquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The only time it’s on the store is when they give blatantly false information to newbies. Unfortunately most new pet owners just take everything someone getting paid to tell you as true. Or when blatantly false information is advised like at Walmart. Always fact check everything.

Attachments

Cicca

Valued Member
Reaction score
When I first went into the fish store to buy the aquarium and fish, I fully thought the person at the store would be helpful to my decision making. I thought that was what they were there for. I did ask questions and after getting vague answers, I just bought whatever I thought looked pretty. As you can imagine, this did not go well. Now I know better and do do research, but I find it somewhat unethical for fish store workers to not know (or not care to share their knowledge) enough about fish. If we have an ethical aquarium store nearby I would happily pay more for fish to be able to rely on the workers' expertise.
80% of the people who work there are not people who know anything about fish, etc.
They are people trying to make ends meet however they are able, or kids going to school and trying to buy top ramon so they don't starve in the process.
They are not given adequate training, nor are they given time to dedicate to each customer as I'm sure many of them would like.

The remaining 20% have long given up on trying to teach people what they need to know. Because the advice they give is 100% in one ear and out the other. (IGNORED)

I worked in retail for so long it's not funny.
I cannot tell you how many parents went ahead and bought lawn darts (back when they were actually dangerous) for their toddlers, against the advice of myself and others.

Add to that the people who work in big chain stores have metrics they have to meet or they lose their jobs. Like: How many fish are sold, or total $ amount sold etc.

All while being paid minimum wage. >.> If we want things to improve we have to be willing to invest in our workforce, not just time, but $. But people don't want to spend an extra dollar or two per item to pay to properly train and educated staff, let alone properly staff a store!

The fix is not simple.

So, for now, it is up to each person to self-police. Make sure they know what they are getting into and above all else, research things on their own. Just like they do with kids. (at least one would hope that's what they do!)

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I was kind of thinking about this a bit again.
Most places expect you to have any sort of passion about what they're hiring you for.
Most petshops or vet offices don't hire just anyone woth a resume. But then again, sometimes they seemingly do.

I don't umderstand why someone who doesn't like dogs would work at a vet. I don't understand why someone who doesn't enjoy their job would work it just so they can tell customers the wrong thing.

You should know at least the smallest thing about the job you apply for. I'm not asking for them to know everything, but don't lie, and don't just not care about your job.
It's so awful when you 'trick' someone into a buying a fish that could seriously harm their others.

The only time it’s on the store is when they give blatantly false information to newbies. Unfortunately most new pet owners just take everything someone getting paid to tell you as true. Or when blatantly false information is advised like at Walmart. Always fact check everything.
I remember someone posted this similar pic a while ago.
Except with a dragon goby, a brackish fish who gets 2 feet long in the wild.
Sure is suitable for a 10 gallon It's whole life.

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@Wraithen. In general, no. Of course you have the generalized information on the breed and individuals within that breed.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OMG

goldengirls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Disclaimer: I am a retail veteran so my feelings are biased. The customer should be doing their research before stepping into the store to make a purchase. At LEAST a general idea of what kind of fish they want and what the minimal care requirements are.

That being said I think it’s wrong for an employee to intentionally mislead a customer new to the hobby because they want to make an easy sale. Or for an unknowledgeable employee to make something up because they’re afraid of saying “I don’t know.”

I’ve been guilty of buying fish on impulse without really knowing what I was doing, and following bad employee advice, so I’m not trying to judge anyone else! Just saying I’ve learned that ultimately it’s my responsibility to do research before bringing a new fish home. The same goes for every other pet, right?

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That picture makes me so sad. It's why the aquarium industry disgusts me.

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Of course, however that's the basic analogy, that assumes that the dog parent knows little more than that dogs eat dog food breath air.
This is true. Sadly. I know of people who I wouldn’t trust with any of my animals. My pets are family. I try to give them the best I can. I know dogs who don’t get much attention who live in crates or in yards.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Holy cow, this has so many views! lol. I do enjoy reading everyone's perspective on this though!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom