Who's likely the culprit of the fin nipping in my 20 gallon long?

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd say the Serpaes. In my experience, Cherries enjoy chasing but they aren't big nippers. Serpaes are known to be nippers, especially in small schools.

LurkingontheReg

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
+1 to the Serpaes. I have a school of 10 and they still nip. Thankfully, it's only occasionally.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would also say the cherrys or serpae ... but in the serpaes defense I have 5 in my 55 that I’ve had for 2.5 years since it’s been set up and they never bothered anyone but each other. I wouldn’t 100% rule out the zebras either they are quick little things especially around feeding time so if something is in their path they could get the other fish. Do you have pics of the nipped fins?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a school of 9 serpaes, and only some panda cories on the bottom. The serpaes would continuously bicker and nip at eachother, but that is fine when they keep it in their own group. But I decided to feed them a cricket (bad idea). They ripped it apart like a vicious school of piranha :(

I have kept many tetra types, nothing compares to the serpae IMO. They are gorgeous fish tho! A good alternative are red phantom tetras, they are similar looking, but no where near the aggressiveness or nippiness of serpae. Upping the school number could help a lot to keep the aggression within the school.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I kept a "school" of two serpaes in a 20 gal with angels and there was no issue. I know shun me. The angels are in a 36 bow now and I rehomed the serpaes.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
I kept a "school" of two serpaes in a 20 gal with angels and there was no issue. I know shun me. The angels are in a 36 bow now and I rehomed the serpaes.
My mom keeps three serpaes (she thought they were red phantoms) and 3 black phantoms in her 29 gallon and they are fine in a community tank with cories. Must totally depend on the fish personality.
Disclaimer I do suggest bigger schools of one type of tetra rather than a few of different types.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
angelcraze said:
My mom keeps three serpaes (she thought they were red phantoms) and 3 black phantoms in her 29 gallon and they are fine in a community tank with cories. Must totally depend on the fish personality.
Yes, it totally does!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My secret for keeping Serpae ???
Get long fins ! They are beautiful and too slow to do the damage they want .
An active and attractive fish ..I had them in my 180. They couldn't catch anything and current / flow was their greatest enemy !
I would do them again..Not regular fins though ...
When life gives you lemons have an Arnold Palmer ! :D

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
coralbandit said:
That's new one...……………………………………….I like it!

Morpheus1967

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
coralbandit said:
An active and attractive fish ..I had them in my 180. They couldn't catch anything and current / flow was their greatest enemy !
See, I have these. Half a dozen. And you are right, they are stunning. They were the first inhabitants of the tank. Any time I would introduce a new fish or fishes, they still definitely went after them, for a few hours, and then they settled down. I found that introducing new fish with the lights completely off has eliminated even that nipping.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coralbandit I think my mom's serpeas are long fin! That's a good observation :) plus I guess they don't swim as quick.

Morpheus1967

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
angelcraze said:
coralbandit I think my mom's serpeas are long fin! That's a good observation :) plus I guess they don't swim as quick.
They "jerk" themselves around the tank!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
angelcraze said:
Exactly ! The fins slow them down like they do guppies ,
Only difference is these fish need it in aquaria .
I am sure in the wild they get on just fine without our help but they are such a good looking fish so many have issue with ..
Imagine a long fin tiger barb ...You could be the meanest tightest fish going but if you are two steps behind it won't ever matter ?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
coralbandit said:
But they cost more, and I'm cheap.

New Threads