Who's Growing Plants Emersed?

SeattleRoy

HI All,

It become painfully obvious to me when I got into planted aquariums that I could not keep all the the species I wanted on hand for aquascaping in the three tanks (85 gallons total) that I had at the time. So I did some research and found that many of the plant species we enjoy in our aquariums typically grow on the edges of steams, rivers, and lakes and are not 'true aquatics' (I.E. live underwater all of the time). So I did some research and now I grow many of the non-common species (not the ones I find at the LFS) emersed in my garage so I have a ready supply of plants for aquascapes.

Here are a few pictures of my emersed set-up. Please feel free to post pictures of your emersed growth set-ups as well or ask questions.

Shortly after setting up two years ago

H.C. growing emersed

Pogostemon helferI (Downoi) growing emersed

Flame Moss; Cuphea anagalloidea; Pogostemon helferi

Oh yes, in case you were wondering they can be transitioned to submerged growth with little to no loss of leaves. Here are some of those same plants that I moved from the emersed set-up to a 10 gallon without CO2.

equivalentbear

HI , I have a question on your emersed growth. Do you cover these species with the other half of the 2 litre bottle most of the time and just remove the cover for photos?

Oh, VERY NICE SETUP !!!

endlercollector

Wow! That's some set-up! Were you always a gardener?

APColorado

Very nice setup. I dry started one of my tanks.

BlueMist

Absolutely gorgeous!

equivalentbear

Very nice setup. I dry started one of my tanks.
"dry started" ? Meaning you started them emersed? I am doubtful they were dry, ie, no humidity, never covered? The only way I have been successful at emersed growth is to have humidity near 100% almost WET ! I don't quite understand how these species can survive fully submerged, yet some have great success growing them emersed.
I am not sure , but I have found theese plants need 100% humidity to thrive, therefore what is the difference between underwater and above water with having "just rained" conditions?
I am just asking , not trying to be a smarty ! LOL

juscallmej

very very nice.

macca

Great work. H.C looks great, grown emersed. Is there a noticeable difference in growing plants emersed or submersed?

SeattleRoy

HI equivalentbear,

HI , I have a question on your emersed growth. Do you cover these species with the other half of the 2 litre bottle most of the time and just remove the cover for photos?

Oh, VERY NICE SETUP !!!

Thanks for the complement; yes the pots stay covered all of the time however sometimes I do remove the cap to reduce the humidity.

HI endlercollector,

Wow! That's some set-up! Were you always a gardener?

No, I just got into planted aquariums about 5 years ago.

HI equivalentbear,

"dry started" ? Meaning you started them emersed? I am doubtful they were dry, ie, no humidity, never covered? The only way I have been successful at emersed growth is to have humidity near 100% almost WET ! I don't quite understand how these species can survive fully submerged, yet some have great success growing them emersed.
I am not sure , but I have found theese plants need 100% humidity to thrive, therefore what is the difference between underwater and above water with having "just rained" conditions?
I am just asking , not trying to be a smarty ! LOL

Most 'dry start' planted aquariums are high humidity either with or without water actually covering the substrate. Actually high humidity is the real trick for not only growing aquatic plants emersed but also for transitioning them from emersed to submerged growth. Here is an article I did last fall about how to improve the odds for a successful transition that I did for our club newsletter; I converted it to a blog so others could view it.

equivalentbear

Awesome article!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!! I am going to do a new tank soon and this info is excellent!! I aquire my plants from my friend, who happens to be a shop owner, that buys from Florida aquatic nursery and all of them just take right off as soon as planted submerged ! I use Eco- Com. Should I change to saf-t-zorb? Can you recommend a dirted combo for a 30 gal? I plan on trying to grow a carpet of some kind, any suggestions? I currently use 2- 26 watt 6500k cfl's on my 10 was planning on three for the 30 !!

Oh, the avitar was with 2 Marineland Doublebrites.

SeattleRoy

HI equivalentbear,

Thank you, I'm glad you found the information useful.

Florida Aquatic Nursery (FAN) grows excellent plants. The Aquatic Gardener's Assn (AGA) had their bi-annual convention in FL a few years ago and one of the highlights was a tour of their greenhouses, growing tanks, and packing/shipping operation. Although they don't ship retail many distributors and larger LFS purchase from them and their let's me know what might show up at the LFS.

I use Eco- Com. Should I change to saf-t-zorb? Can you recommend a dirted combo for a 30 gal? I plan on trying to grow a carpet of some kind, any suggestions? I currently use 2- 26 watt 6500k cfl's on my 10 was planning on three for the 30 !!

I think individuals should decide what substrate works best for them. I do believe that grain size is important for proper root growth and health and that large pebbles or really fine sand are not going to provide the best results possible.

Wow! Depending on how high above the 10 gallon those two lamps are that is a lot of light over a 10 gallon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JuiceKong
Replies
Views
RedOnion
Replies
Views
gray_matter16
Replies
Views