Who's digging little pits in my tank?

Chenpoes

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My 55 gallon tank has been up and running for roughly 5 months now and just today I noticed someone digging little pits around some drift wood. Only things I see inhabiting them now are some fry and tiny ghost shrimp, so whoever made them is gone. They're roughly and inch or two in diameter. The things I have in the tank are a handful of guppies, couple of swordtails, one bn pleco, 6 kuhlI loaches, and lots of snails and ghost shrimps. Any idea as to who decided to start digging? Tried to take pics but they're a bit hard to capture. Only thing that I can think of that might have spurred this is my heater was accidentally turned off for two days and I just got it back on yesterday.
20191223_231155.jpg20191223_231211.jpg

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JettsPapa said:
...or the snails.
Just eradicated those and never had snails in any tank before. So my experience with those is basically nonexistant.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MacZ said:
Just eradicated those and never had snails in any tank before. So my experience with those is basically nonexistant.
I don't think pest snails would have done it, but mystery or nerite snails definitely dig. Others might too, but those are the ones I know about. Chenpoes just said "lots of snails" without specifying type.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guess is the loaches or the pleco as well. In my experience loaches do it super often so I'd guess them but it could be either one.

New Threads