Whoops, forgot to ask about 'cycle'..

1. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Hi! So I just wanted to clarify about this Cycle product I have been using that states on the bottle that you should add once a week to prevent fish loss...in a previous thread it was mentioned that once your tank is established it is not needed anymore so I want to stop adding it every week. Is it okay to just stop or should I add 1 less capful each week until I reach 0? Also is there any use at all for this big bottle of cycle I now have? Also does aquarium salt have any use in the tank at all? My LFS suggested always adding a touch of it with each water change, that it helps to reduce any stress..even though I have cories, he said a bit of salt wouldn't hurt them. (still going to get my salinity checked as I lost one of my little pandas recently-thanks for all the support- you know who you are!):;hug2

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Cycle does not contain aquatic bacteris, it contains terrestrial bacteria that die off when added to the water. That's why it must be added every week for the life of your tank. It does not properly cycle a tank.
    Also, any catfish - including cories, will not appriciate salt in the water.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

cycle is a product that gives you false hope of a true cycle...you definately need to stop using it all together, but be ready for a mini cycle as it eats up the bacteria needed to properly cycle the tank....get some prime water conditioner and be ready for partial water changes everyday....

salt is more of an old school way and isnt needed now a days..it stresses fish and makes them overproduce slime coat...you can use stress coat+ for the replacement ...

:;tmntamanda :;nw

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I would guess that you could use Cycle in a Q tank. Normally, you'd Q new fish for about 2 to 3 weeks or for a sick fish, however long until it gets well.
    If you don't have an extra cycled tank or seeded filter media, using the Cycle might be an option.

5. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Okay then...so here's my plan of attack.. when I do my little water change this friday I will not put any cycle or salt in the new water, just the conditioner. Saturday morning I will not feed the fish, as they can go a day without food and hopefully that way they will produce less waste, since I will just be relying on the established bacteria in the tank rather than cycle product (the tank has been set up for three months now) Also I will test the water Saturday morning in case I need to remove a bit and replace, also test Saturday evening?
    Should I feed them a wee bit on Sunday morning or evening...how long before the established bacteria will catch up without the aid of the cycle stuff? I don't want to harm my fish, but I do need to get out of this 'cycle' habit! Please help me kick it!
    Lucy- so for a short term use of a Q tank you think that I could put the cycle stuff to use there if I don't do the seeded filter media option? If I test the water everyday or just change some would that be sufficient? Sorry everyone for all the questions, seems that when I think of one it develops into three! Thank you for the guidance! ;D

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds good. Be prepared for ammonia readings since what's probably kept it in check is the Cycle.
    I don't know how long it'll take for the bacteria to catch up. It depends on how much you have.

IMO, you'd be ok using Cycle for the short term in a Q tank since you already have a big bottle.
    I don't think you'd need to test everyday since you're not actually trying to cycle the tank, just trying to keep the ammonia at 0. You can use a turkey baster to suck out any waste or left over food before it becomes a problem.

No need to apologize for asking questions. That's what the forum is for and we all learn from each others questions and answers. :)

7. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Ok Lucy, that is what I will do then, wish me luck!:;thx

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Good luck! :)