Whoa momma!!! Fat Glolight tetra or Preggo?

1. Guppy3214 Initiate Member

Hello Friends! I've noticed one of my Glolight tetras becoming increasingly big. I have grown concerned cause she is one big momma (as you can see from the pictures, and I apologize I am not the best at fish photography). So I need some expert opinions is she pregnant or just plain fat? I've checked for Dropsy all the scales are nice and smooth and my water parameters are fine.

Any suggestions

(I've bread guppies before but they've gotten nowhere as big, but the stomachs are both kind of box like)

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

She is big! Beautiful fish, though. I've never had tetras breed for me, but I'm sure another member will be along soon that can help you out.

Until then, have you given her peas to make sure she's not constipated?

3. crazedACD Member Member

Giving this a bump...not too sure, but that is one big fish! Interested to see what others think :).

4. Jake the Fish Member Member

Wow.... That is one big mumma.
    She is most likely pregnant. I also haven't had tetra's breed for me but that glowlight looks pregnant.

On Christmas when I turned on the light to my tank my Glowlight was the exact same as yours but not as huge. Now it has gone down a bit.

5. mathas Well Known Member Member

Tetras are egg-layers, and by definition, cannot become "pregnant". If that fish doesn't drop eggs very soon, you likely have a bloat/constipation issue to deal with.

6. acolli51 Member Member

I have had glowlights get really big and fat as well. I will try to find some old pics, I actually took some of it. I have never successfully had them breed but they always just slimmed down over night it seemed and it would be a while before the process started over but about once a month and usually after a big water change one or two would get fat like this. I kept 6 of them in a 20gal with 4 corys and 4-5 ottos though and I always thought that they were laying eggs and that the catfish were eating them before they could hatch or anything.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. You have some plump fish there! :) A good idea above to try feeding the fish some thawed frozen peas, cut them in half and remove the skin. Then you can slice them even more. Slices the size of one of the fishes eyes would be great. Peas act as a laxative for fish. It may take a couple of tries before they realize that the peas are actually food.

Acolli it sounds like yours were full of eggs. The spawning process can be boosted by a water change, change in temperature by only 1 degree or so, and a slight change in pH may start the process as well. To me it sounds like they expelled the eggs and were eaten as you stated.

Wishing you both the best for your fish! Keep us posted.
    Ken:cold: