who writes fish profiles?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So who writes the fish profiles, because I have noticed that a lot of times the info people give on the forum conflicts with what is in the fish profiles.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Generally the fish profiles are articles taken from other sites (I believe) However a numbers of members have written profiles for the Fishlore Magazine and those are used as well. If you want feel free to write up a species profile We're always excited to have new ones.

Also in regards to the conflicting info members advise based off their own experience, and "generally" you'll find most profiles around the internet have a few variations.

If there are major "errors" you can link to them and see if Mike is able to fix them, or even write up a new profile if you feel the info is way off and submit it as well.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Red1313 said:
If you want feel free to write up a species profile We're always excited to have new ones.
How do I do that, because though the forum is great and has tons of info on all kinds of fish, the actual fish profiles are a bit lacking in number of different fish. I have a lot of experience and info on four types of fish that don't have profiles (giant danio, zebra loach, turquoise rainbow fish, and pictus catfish) and would love to share that info!
Thanks

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ooh awesome. I would love to see more profiles up on the site.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Great info above. MIKE is the administrator of Fish Lore. (in case you didn't know). Be sure to credit all information that you may have copied along with credit for any photos as mentioned above.

Some of the more serious problems would include Plagiarism and Slander. Plagiarism is, of course, the use of someone else's material without their express permission, when not citing the source. If you were to quote a website's information on a subject there are two ways for that to not be Plagiarism:

A) Cite the source by saying, "I got this from ___.com"
B) Show the website link, "___.com"
Plagiarism is a misdemeanor criminal offense in which the innocent party may sue the guilty party in a court of law, for damages

The above information is taken from this link on Fish Lore: Forum Etiquette
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/jan08/forum-etiquette.htm

Ken

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So do I email it to Mike at magazine@fishlore.com or where. Do I put the fish profile page in a similar format to what the other profiles are already in, so first the general info/discussion of the fish and then below that the various other info like water parameters and size, etc. listed in a column like they are on all the other profiles here?
Thanks so much for the info! ;D

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NMfishman said:
So do I email it to Mike at magazine@fishlore.com or where. Do I put the fish profile page in a similar format to what the other profiles are already in, so first the general info/discussion of the fish and then below that the various other info like water parameters and size, etc. listed in a column like they are on all the other profiles here?
Thanks so much for the info! ;D
great job NM for wanting to do this!!!!!
as far as the profiles themselves, if you see an error or such, just pm mike....that email is for an article you might want to write up for our fishlore magazine .....mike likes members to help with that but to redo the profiles per say Mike handles that usually....but a pm to him, can answer for sure ...just wanted you to know the email was for a submitted article for the magazine

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Shawnie!
So that would not be where I would send an entirely new profile page, one that is not already on the website.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NMfishman said:
Thanks Shawnie!
So that would not be where I would send an entirely new profile page, one that is not already on the website.
correct
If there is something about the profiles , just pm mike

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK, but under the article author guidelines it says that they are looking for fish profiles there and I am sorry I am dumb, I can't figure out how to PM Mike, I don't see a way to send him a message

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nevermind I just got PM ability, I think I remember reading something that said I needed like 50 posts, or did you enable it for me Shawnie?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your correct you have to have 50 post to be able to pm
Carol

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Butterfly said:
Your correct you have to have 50 post to be able to pm
Carol
Thanks, that is what I thought but after 50 it still hadn't kicked in, but I think it just took it a little bit of time to let me do it and eventually did. I just sent the PM to mike!

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It sometimes takes a little bit to kick in, or you have to log out/in, etc. Eventually it works.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
fishman, great to see you would like to share your knowledge. Younever know who will be helped further down the line with a giant danio profile for example. I don't know much about them but would love to find out.

Hope you get the go ahead, let us know if you get agreed, would love to check them out!

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Does mike not get on much, cuz I still have not heard back from him.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll bring this thread to Mike's attention.
In the mean time you might want to try and e-mail it to him

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank You! ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom