Who switched from community fish to cichlids ? - Page 2

BigBeardDaHuZi
Dechi said:
You mean to salt water ? What would be the purpose of doing that ?

Here’s my latest scape. I’m not convinced the plants are staying. I just don’t have the heart to throw them away. They’re not really nice enough to give away and I’m kind of attached to them. But I feel fertilizing plants, which add nitrates, is not optimal with cichlids who need as close to zero as possible.

I’m also having so much trouble calibrating my new Eheim Jagr heater. It’s been a week and it’s still not reaching 80F as I want it to. It’s either at 88F or 78-79. I should have settled with 79. Sigh.

Anyways, here is the tank for now. I will put a blue background before I get the fish. And maybe add an artificial plant as hideout. We’ll see.

0B86784C-307B-4B3F-AA78-C4AFFA16C723.jpeg
That looks great! i really like your rock work.
Which plants do you have? You might need to put rocks around the roots, but the vallisneria should be fine. It grows in Lake Malawi anyways.

GlennO
I like the plants. Looks like Java Fern and Giant Val which should be fine in hard water. With a fully stocked Cichlid tank you won't need a complete fertiliser that contains nitrate. Just use one of the multitude of nitrate and phosphate free ones like Flourish. The Cichlids might pick at them but it's worth a try.

Dechi
BigBeardDaHuZi said:
That looks great! i really like your rock work.
Which plants do you have? You might need to put rocks around the roots, but the vallisneria should be fine. It grows in Lake Malawi anyways.
Thanks ! They’re java fern and Giant Val as GlennO said. I’m sure they are going to be uprooted really fast as they’re really hard to plant in aragonite. Then they’ll get on my nerves and bye bye plants...

I’ll try putting them under the rocks as you suggested though. I hadn’t thought of that.

GlennO said:
I like the plants. Looks like Java Fern and Giant Val which should be fine in hard water. With a fully stocked Cichlid tank you won't need a complete fertiliser that contains nitrate. Just use one of the multitude of nitrate and phosphate free ones like Flourish. The Cichlids might pick at them but it's worth a try.
Thanks ! I never had success with Flourish, every time I used it my tank became a giant green box. I still have three bottles from a long time ago... Maybe I’ll try a little tiny dose just to see.

GlennO
Dechi said:
Thanks ! They’re java fern and Giant Val as GlennO said. I’m sure they are going to be uprooted really fast as they’re really hard to plant in aragonite. Then they’ll get on my nerves and bye bye plants...

I’ll try putting them under the rocks as you suggested though. I hadn’t thought of that.

Thanks ! I never had success with Flourish, every time I used it my tank became a giant green box. I still have three bottles from a long time ago... Maybe I’ll try a little tiny dose just to see.
Sure, don’t think I’ve ever used Flourish myself. I was using Easy Life’s Profito before I switched to an all-in-one.

Islandvic
What stocking did you decide on?

Check out the YouTube channel "Prime Time Aquatics". The host Jason has a lot of species specific profiles.

SinisterCichlids
Dechi said:
You mean to salt water ? What would be the purpose of doing that ?

Here’s my latest scape. I’m not convinced the plants are staying. I just don’t have the heart to throw them away. They’re not really nice enough to give away and I’m kind of attached to them. But I feel fertilizing plants, which add nitrates, is not optimal with cichlids who need as close to zero as possible.

I’m also having so much trouble calibrating my new Eheim Jagr heater. It’s been a week and it’s still not reaching 80F as I want it to. It’s either at 88F or 78-79. I should have settled with 79. Sigh.

Anyways, here is the tank for now. I will put a blue background before I get the fish. And maybe add an artificial plant as hideout. We’ll see.

0B86784C-307B-4B3F-AA78-C4AFFA16C723.jpeg
I wouldn't worry too much about the plants honestly. It isn't heavily planted, once you get your fish, they will start grazing on them heavily. If you are looking for a cheap hideout to help them adjust, I have seen some smart cichlid keepers use PVC pipe, drill holes in the pipe to put suction cups to the glass that match the background. It doesn't take away from the esthetic as much and won't cost you a pretty penny like the cichlid caves from stores.

I have heard interesting things about these Eheim Jagr heaters and issues with calibrating; so you are definitely not alone with that problem. Try and get it worked out, but whether it is 79 - 86 degrees the cichlids will tolerate it. Not optimal to have fluctuations, but not immediately life-threatening like it would be for other species.

Dechi
Islandvic said:
What stocking did you decide on?

Check out the YouTube channel "Prime Time Aquatics". The host Jason has a lot of species specific profiles.
My first fish will be 4 labidochromis caeruleus. Then 4 demasoni 3-4 weeks later and then one last group of 4. This last group I don’t know what I want. I will ask when I go pick up the fish what my choices would be, research then and decide after. I would like those to be a totally different color.

I’ll check out Prime time aquatics. I’ve seen a few videos, they were interesting.

SinisterCichlids said:
If you are looking for a cheap hideout to help them adjust, I have seen some smart cichlid keepers use PVC pipe, drill holes in the pipe to put suction cups to the glass that match the background. It doesn't take away from the esthetic as much and won't cost you a pretty penny like the cichlid caves from stores.
I really have no more room for that. I made sure there were at least 5-6 crevices in the rocks for them. Do you think that’s enough or I should get a cave ? I’m not too handy so I would buy one of those with 2-3 little huts piles on top of another. It’s just I don’t think it would fit the way things are at the moment.

SinisterCichlids said:
Try and get it worked out, but whether it is 79 - 86 degrees the cichlids will tolerate it. Not optimal to have fluctuations, but not immediately life-threatening like it would be for other species.
It’s my second or third Eheim. I have another one that works fine, but it’s 20 years old and I’m only keeping it as a temporary backup as I’m afraid it’s going to fry my fish...

When I was testing the new Eheim in a bucket today, the temperature went up to 100F. And the dial stops at 93F. That’s very odd and I’m afraid to use it. I might try to get a replacement from Eheim.

I managed to have it work 3 degrees off and will be testing it in the tank for 48 hours before I decide of it’s faith...

GlennO
Dechi said:
When I was testing the new Eheim in a bucket today, the temperature went up to 100F. And the dial stops at 93F. That’s very odd and I’m afraid to use it. I might try to get a replacement from Eheim.

I managed to have it work 3 degrees off and will be testing it in the tank for 48 hours before I decide of it’s faith...
Did you have an airstone in the bucket? Otherwise the thermometer could be sitting in a pool of hot water. I don't normally bother trying to calibrate them, I just note how many degrees 'off' it is using a thermometer and set the temp dial accordingly.

SinisterCichlids
Dechi said:
My first fish will be 4 labidochromis caeruleus. Then 4 demasoni 3-4 weeks later and then one last group of 4. This last group I don’t know what I want. I will ask when I go pick up the fish what my choices would be, research then and decide after. I would like those to be a totally different color.

I’ll check out Prime time aquatics. I’ve seen a few videos, they were interesting.

I really have no more room for that. I made sure there were at least 5-6 crevices in the rocks for them. Do you think that’s enough or I should get a cave ? I’m not too handy so I would buy one of those with 2-3 little huts piles on top of another. It’s just I don’t think it would fit the way things are at the moment.

It’s my second or third Eheim. I have another one that works fine, but it’s 20 years old and I’m only keeping it as a temporary backup as I’m afraid it’s going to fry my fish...

Wow, that is pretty terrifying. I dont know a thing about these heaters, just see and hear of these problems with them often. If you want the yellow labs and demasoni and can get them all at one time, I would. As for some other options, you could go with yellow tails, white tails, red top hongis. They would all work really well.

No, I think that will work, was just giving some more options. Don't be alarmed if they are chill for a few days and then start chasing each other. They are just establishing a hierarchy. Seems like you are ready to go!

Dechi
GlennO said:
Did you have an airstone in the bucket? Otherwise the thermometer could be sitting in a pool of hot water. I don't normally bother trying to calibrate them, I just note how many degrees 'off' it is using a thermometer and set the temp dial accordingly.
No air stone but I made sure to « stir the soup » every few minutes.

I should have left it alone. I think it’s kind of okay now, I’m just waiting 24 hours more.

SinisterCichlids said:
Wow, that is pretty terrifying. I dont know a thing about these heaters, just see and hear of these problems with them often.
I’m nervous about heater now so I did some research and ordered an Inkbird ITC 308-S (heater controller) for an added security level. I’m also thinking of getting two smaller heaters instead of a bigger one, to lessen chances of frying the fish.

SinisterCichlids said:
If you want the yellow labs and demasoni and can get them all at one time, I would. As for some other options, you could go with yellow tails, white tails, red top hongis. They would all work really well.
I am really debating about getting them all at once. I’ve kept my cycle going by adding a small pinch of fish in the inlet every second day but I have no idea to tell how much bioload I have. I should be okay for 4 fish, but I’m really not sure about 8. I’d rather be on the safe side so will probably a few weeks for the demasoni.

Are the fish you are suggesting Mbunas ? I only want Mbunas for this tank.

SinisterCichlids
Dechi said:
No air stone but I made sure to « stir the soup » every few minutes.

I should have left it alone. I think it’s kind of okay now, I’m just waiting 24 hours more.

I’m nervous about heater now so I did some research and ordered an Inkbird ITC 308-S (heater controller) for an added security level. I’m also thinking of getting two smaller heaters instead of a bigger one, to lessen chances of frying the fish.

I am really debating about getting them all at once. I’ve kept my cycle going by adding a small pinch of fish in the inlet every second day but I have no idea to tell how much bioload I have. I should be okay for 4 fish, but I’m really not sure about 8. I’d rather be on the safe side so will probably a few weeks for the demasoni.

Are the fish you are suggesting Mbunas ? I only want Mbunas for this tank.
That is totally understandable. Yes, yellow tail acei's, white tail acei's and red top hongis are all mbuna. Red tops are labidchromis like your yellow labs. Similar size and aggression. The acei's are pseudotropheus; also similar size and lower level of aggression than others. Attached some photos for reference.

Dechi
SinisterCichlids those are pretty fish !

SinisterCichlids
Dechi said:
SinisterCichlids those are pretty fish !
Thanks, I found them on the internet haha!

Dechi
I’ve made a list of all available cichlids at my LFS that would fit my tank and needs. There are 6 serious contenders (see below).

BOUGHT (waiting for me at LFS)

4 x labidochromis caeruleus

POSSIBLE TANK MATES (2 groups of 4 needed)

1 - Pseudotropheus demasoni
2 - labidochromis sp. perlmutt
3 - metriaclima callainos (cobalt zebra)
4 - pseudotropheus acei
5 - pseudotropheus johanni (one of my favorites but the female are yellow and look too much like labidochromis caeruleus)
6 - pseudotropheus socolofi (I really like this one because of its blue powder color and small size (4 inches))

Today I did a 50% WC even though my 25% WC was only 4 days ago. I started having brown algae (diatoms) on the rocks and substrate and white fuzz spots growing on a rock I put in yesterday.

Also, my nitrates were around 20-30 ppm and I had added a small dose of Thrive C before testing, which made it worse. I was stressing over all of this so decided to do a bigger WC now so it wouldn’t be too close to when the fish are coming (I am aiming next thursday).

The PH was at 8.2 10 minutes after filling the tank so that’s very good (it was 8.3 before the WC so only dropped 0.1 ppm). I tested for GH and KH and they were respectively 280 ppm and 330 ppm 2 hours after WC. They were 300 ppm and 340 ppm before the WC but they will increase a little bit more with time.

So it appears my technique and dosage for salt and buffer are adequate. I will have to do one more tiny WC, probably tuesday. I have to do a little maintenance on my filter (add some polishing pads) and this will force me to replace the 3-5 gallons in the filter.

Other than that, I should be good !

SinisterCichlids
Everything sounds good. Just want to give my 2 cents on the stocking options.

Demasoni - great choice, similar size to labs, typically low aggression, and the contrast of their colors to the yellow labs are a very common mixture. Definitely can't go wrong here.

Perlmutts - great choice, similar levels of aggression as the yellow labs since they are in the same family. Definitely can't go wrong here.

Cobalt zebras - these guys are a bit bigger than your yellow labs and a bit more aggressive. Really can be a hit or miss.

Acei's - great option, similar size to labs, won't clash, and low aggression.

Johanni's - the most aggressive IMO on your list. Would advise against this one the most, especially due to the females being similar to the yellow labs. Might really cause aggression between your yellow lab males and potential cross-breeding.

Socolofi - again an absolutely fine choice, similar size and IME only a tad more aggressive than the yellow labs, but very similar and very compatible.

Islandvic
Saulosi

BigBeardDaHuZi
Islandvic said:
I really don't see mbuna in my future - I just don't have the space - but Saulosi are so darn cool. I would love to have a tank of them.
The Acei too. From what I've read, they school a bit, even in the tank, and you should keep more than one to keep them happy.

Dechi
SinisterCichlids said:
Everything sounds good. Just want to give my 2 cents on the stocking options.
Thank you ! I wasn’t sure about Johannis to begin with but you’re right, definitely a no go !

Islandvic said:
They’re not available at my store. Also, they are the same colors and looks as yellow labs and demasoni (my two favorites) which is not ideal.

Dechi
I found thess fish that I missed. It’s available but only 4 left.

1 - Pseudotropheus sp. polit (lion’s cove)
2 - Cynotilapia zebroide zebra, white dorsal (Mara rock). Although I can’t find any videos to see them.

ETA : 3- Metriaclima Aurora (Pombo)

Would they be a good fit as well ?

Dechi
I’ve made some (semi) final decisions on what I would like. Here it is in pictures. The two on top are a yellow lab and demasoni :

6C1AF588-2D78-49E9-B5A4-A1CFBE38D247.jpeg

or

1911A7C4-8BBA-4A71-A821-53B6795C5435.jpeg

Lebeeze
If you are looking at an overstocked african cichlid tank, you are going to want filtration to be at least 5x the volume but preferably more. So in your 45 gallon tank you would be looking to have at least 250 gallons per hour filtration. This goes for large south american cichlids as well.

Dechi
Lebeeze said:
If you are looking at an overstocked african cichlid tank, you are going to want filtration to be at least 5x the volume but preferably more. So in your 45 gallon tank you would be looking to have at least 250 gallons per hour filtration. This goes for large south american cichlids as well.
My Fluval 407 should be okay and I also have a HOB filter that came with the tank that I could add.

New look today ! The plants weren’t thriving and I wasn’t sure about wanting them in the first place so I had to say good-bye.

17E844B0-FC94-4EBD-B448-E2B052EC5570.jpeg

Dechi
The fish are here ! Wow, I feel like I’m in a totally different league now... They’re like yellow turbo machines, so fast and precise !

They seem to like the caves I’ve made for them so I’m really happy about that. They also ate their dinner.

I’ve set the light at 3% and now I’m down to 1% and will shut it off in about 20 minutes so they can rest. 1% is really dim, it really gives a calm atmosphere to the tank.

At first they were swimming crazy along both sides of the glass but it stopped when I dimmed the light. I don’t know if they were discovering their environment of if there is reflection on the glass that gets them excited. We’ll see tomorrow.

My water parameters were all good; I tested the water before going to the LFS.

PH : 8.3/8.4
GH : 300 ppm
KH : 340 ppm
Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates : 5 ppm

I might diminish the buffer just a little, to get the PH down to 8.2 but other than that, I’m happy with the way it is.

If my water parameters remain this good I will be going back to my LFS next saturday to get the Demasoni.

This is the best Christmas present I’ve ever given myself!

Leeman75
Dechi said:
The fish are here ! Wow, I feel like I’m in a totally different league now... They’re like yellow turbo machines, so fast and precise !

They seem to like the caves I’ve made for them so I’m really happy about that. They also ate their dinner.

I’ve set the light at 3% and now I’m down to 1% and will shut it off in about 20 minutes so they can rest. 1% is really dim, it really gives a calm atmosphere to the tank.

At first they were swimming crazy along both sides of the glass but it stopped when I dimmed the light. I don’t know if they were discovering their environment of if there is reflection on the glass that gets them excited. We’ll see tomorrow.

My water parameters were all good; I tested the water before going to the LFS.

PH : 8.3/8.4
GH : 300 ppm
KH : 340 ppm
Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates : 5 ppm

I might diminish the buffer just a little, to get the PH down to 8.2 but other than that, I’m happy with the way it is.

If my water parameters remain this good I will be going back to my LFS next saturday to get the Demasoni.

This is the best Christmas present I’ve ever given myself!
I can sense your excitement and am excited for you!! It is SO awesome to get new fish that you have put so much work into setting up an environment specifically for!

Dechi
I got my second group today : 4 x demasoni. One is already showing colors (that’s why I picked him) so there’s a good chance he is a male.

I believe the labidos are 3 females and 1 male. Of course being a beginner I could be wrong. But it would be neat if I was right.

The yellow labs had found their way in the tank for the past week and they had become peaceful. They enjoyed all their little caves and some had picked one they liked.

Now that the demasonis are here, the glass surfing has come back and everyone is sort of running around instead of enjoying the place. It’s only been a few hours since I got them so things will settle in a few days.

But I was enjoying the yellow labs ways and I’m kind of missing it. I’m sure I’ll enjoy the new order too.

My LFS had a new fish shipment come in so I’m waiting for their listing to come out before I pick my third and last group.

I have already pretty much decided I would get a 75 gallon tank this summer so my third group might be fish that are a little bigger, as long as they are juveniles.

Such an exciting time !

SinisterCichlids
We need pictures! If you are interested in any more yellow labs, I have a really great and healthy batch of yellow labs both male and female. My labs breed pretty consistently each month. Always looking for good homes for them to go to, that's why I don't charge for them, just pay shipping!

Dechi
SinisterCichlids said:
We need pictures! If you are interested in any more yellow labs, I have a really great and healthy batch of yellow labs both male and female. My labs breed pretty consistently each month. Always looking for good homes for them to go to, that's why I don't charge for them, just pay shipping!
Thanks for the offer ! For now I’m okay but maybe one day, if it’s possible to ship to Canada.

I’ll try to get pictures of the fish but they move so fast...

The demasoni have already started to color up. It’s nice to see.

Dechi
Another trip to my LFS today, 1 week after adding the demasoni. The family is now complete (for now) !

I had the made a short list of my top choices :
- Metriaclima magunga Mboso
- Pseudotropheus acei (Ngara) / white tail
- Metriaclima callainos (blue cobalt)
-Labeotropheus fuelleborni (chinyankwazi island, orange)

I spent the night thinking about it and didn’t get much sleep. In the store, I couldn’t resist the white tail acei. Those guys look so awesome !

The store owner vented them and is 100% sure I have at 1 male. The others could be female. Hopefully they are. They are about 2.5 inches, maybe more. They’re a lot bigger than the yellow labs and demasoni.

So far I think I have :
Yellow labs : 2m-2f or 3m-1f
demasoni : 3m-1f
White tail acei : 1m- ?

These ratios will be adjusted once I am 100% sure of what the sexes are, if I ever am...

I’m okay with 2 males of the same specie, but not 3.

Next project : getting a 75 gallons for these guys before they get too big !

I’m aiming june or july to put them in their new home.

Lebeeze
Dechi said:
Another trip to my LFS today, 1 week after adding the demasoni. The family is now complete (for now) !

I had the made a short list of my top choices :
- Metriaclima magunga Mboso
- Pseudotropheus acei (Ngara) / white tail
- Metriaclima callainos (blue cobalt)
-Labeotropheus fuelleborni (chinyankwazi island, orange)

I spent the night thinking about it and didn’t get much sleep. In the store, I couldn’t resist the white tail acei. Those guys look so awesome !

The store owner vented them and is 100% sure I have at 1 male. The others could be female. Hopefully they are. They are about 2.5 inches, maybe more. They’re a lot bigger than the yellow labs and demasoni.

So far I think I have :
Yellow labs : 2m-2f or 3m-1f
demasoni : 3m-1f
White tail acei : 1m- ?

These ratios will be adjusted once I am 100% sure of what the sexes are, if I ever am...

I’m okay with 2 males of the same specie, but not 3.

Next project : getting a 75 gallons for these guys before they get too big !

I’m aiming june or july to put them in their new home.
Good luck with getting the new tank. I actually went to a fish shop today to check out angelfish, which they didn't have, and I saw a lot of nice deals on tanks. I was mad when I saw a brand new 75 for $30 more than I paid for a used one a couple months ago .

Yellow labs and acei are 2 of my favorite mbunas. Both not very aggressive and get some nice size too. I like the demasoni too but they stay smaller , still a gorgeous fish though. I went with purple yellow tail acei but definitely can't go wrong with the white tails.

Getting new fish is always a fun day.

Dechi
Lebeeze said:
I went with purple yellow tail acei but definitely can't go wrong with the white tails.
The store owner says they haven’t had yellow tail in quite a while. It would have been a hard decision if both yellow and white tail acei had been available. I think I would have still picked the white tail though.

BigBeardDaHuZi
I'm so jealous. I can't find Acei here. They are the one mbuna I really wanted for my tank. From what I've read, they are a schooling/shoaling species and prefer each other's company. And they really look like a saltwater fish.

Dechi
BigBeardDaHuZi said:
I'm so jealous. I can't find Acei here. They are the one mbuna I really wanted for my tank. From what I've read, they are a schooling/shoaling species and prefer each other's company. And they really look like a saltwater fish.
Yes ! They are schooling together, it’s really amazing ! I had read about it but didn’t really believe it.

If I could I would send you some.

SinisterCichlids
Dechi said:
Yes ! They are schooling together, it’s really amazing ! I had read about it but didn’t really believe it.

If I could I would send you some.
Yes they do, they are very interesting mbuna. BigBeardDaHuZi sorry you cant get them in China, I wish I could ship them to you! I think you made the right choice with the acei. Some of your other choices were more aggressive and a bit bigger. The bigger tank is going to be great!

Dechi
SinisterCichlids said:
The bigger tank is going to be great!
Yes, and I don’t know how I am going to be able to wait until summer...

SinisterCichlids do you think I can have 2 more groups of 4 in a 75 gallons ? That would be a total of 5 groups of 4, so 20 fish.

SinisterCichlids
Dechi said:
Yes, and I don’t know how I am going to be able to wait until summer...

SinisterCichlids do you think I can have 2 more groups of 4 in a 75 gallons ? That would be a total of 5 groups of 4, so 20 fish.
Haha yes it is the worst waiting, but it will be worth it! Or you could just pull the trigger now and go for it. As for your question; yes I would actually highly recommend 20 mbuna in a 75 ... BUT as always, it does depend on the groups. If you want to do more labs, acei, and demasoni, then definitely. Is that what you had in mind?

Also what kind of filter(s) are we working with here? You are going to want turn your tank over A LOT.
I do 700gph with my two HOBs and a fluval fx4. This turns my tank over 18.5x an hour and keeps the tank looking like fish floating in air haha.

BigBeardDaHuZi
Do you have any new photos Dechi ?

Dechi
SinisterCichlids said:
; yes I would actually highly recommend 20 mbuna in a 75 ... BUT as always, it does depend on the groups. If you want to do more labs, acei, and demasoni, then definitely. Is that what you had in mind?
No, I wouldn’t add anymore of what I already have. I would like 2 new groups of 4 of two different species.

SinisterCichlids said:
Also what kind of filter(s) are we working with here?
Right now I have a Fluval 407 and a Fluval C4 (in a box, not used at the moment). I’m debating weather I buy another Fluval 407, or just add my existing C4, or buy an FX4 and use it as an only filter.

My biggest challenge is that this tank sits in front of me in my living room, where I spend most of my time. I find it noisy as it is. So noise is a real concern to me (and HOB are very noisy in my opinion, but canister filters are also, in a different way). Lots to think about.

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
Do you have any new photos Dechi ?
I took some yesterday but these fish are constantly moving. Here they are, until I can get better ones.

Below you can see Bobby, the only fish I recognize 100% because of his dark fins.

ED15A549-6DAD-4DD6-A817-6E04D53D14D0.jpeg

D3B1D489-3D80-4EDF-B16C-D292DF446945.jpeg

SinisterCichlids
Really awesome, the plant really breaks up the line of sight which will come in big handy haha. What did you have in mind for the other groups? Any mbuna would be fine, but if you want to maintain a more peaceful mbuna group like you have here; certain types I would stay away from.

Red top hongi's and rustys would fit in really well.

Dechi
SinisterCichlids said:
What did you have in mind for the other groups? Any mbuna would be fine, but if you want to maintain a more peaceful mbuna group like you have here; certain types I would stay away from.
I really have no idea for now. Once the new tank is set up, I’ll start doing research. There really is only one store that I can get great quality fish from so it will depend on their stock. Fortunately, they really do have a good selection.

One thing for sure, no more yellow and no more blue. I will need red or orange fish. Maybe green, but there aren’t many of those. I want different colors than what I have. Red top hongis and rusties would definitely fit the bill !

I would like a tank as peaceful as possible (for Mbunas) so I’m definitely going to stay away from the more aggressive species.

Eventually I’ll open a new thread to get some ideas.

SinisterCichlids
Dechi said:
I really have no idea for now. Once the new tank is set up, I’ll start doing research. There really is only one store that I can get great quality fish from so it will depend on their stock. Fortunately, they really do have a good selection.

One thing for sure, no more yellow and no more blue. I will need red or orange fish. Maybe green, but there aren’t many of those. I want different colors than what I have. Red top hongis and rusties would definitely fit the bill !

I would like a tank as peaceful as possible (for Mbunas) so I’m definitely going to stay away from the more aggressive species.

Eventually I’ll open a new thread to get some ideas.
I definitely understand the no more yellow and blues haha. Glad I could help, those two very low aggression for sure. Red zebras can be a handful.

Lebeeze
Snow whites are really good looking. Don't get too big and are generally peaceful. They are all white with red eyes.

KribensisLover1
I just got four new labs! So cute. Waiting for some growth prior to adding my HUGMONGOUS (imho) lab from my other tank. Worried she will shred the littles. Exciting! Keep us posted.

Dechi
KribensisLover1 said:
I just got four new labs! So cute. Waiting for some growth prior to adding my HUGMONGOUS (imho) lab from my other tank. Worried she will shred the littles. Exciting! Keep us posted.
I'm happy for you !

As for me, I’m a little discouraged right now. I’ve got 2 beaten up yellow labs and 1 or 2 beaten up demasoni. The only ones doing well are the acei.

I am not having fun with the aggressive dynamics going on. I don’t enjoy having to pull out fish from the tank (so hard to do, I have to remove the rocks) or watching them get beat up.

I’m trying to find a way to make this work without having fish getting hurt. I don’t even know if it’s possible with cichlids but I’ve put so much money into this I can’t just give up.

KribensisLover1
Dechi said:
I'm happy for you !

As for me, I’m a little discouraged right now. I’ve got 2 beaten up yellow labs and 1 or 2 beaten up demasoni. The only ones doing well are the acei.

I am not having fun with the aggressive dynamics going on. I don’t enjoy having to pull out fish from the tank (so hard to do, I have to remove the rocks) or watching them get beat up.

I’m trying to find a way to make this work without having fish getting hurt. I don’t even know if it’s possible with cichlids but I’ve put so much money into this I can’t just give up.
Ugh I'm so sorry! That's rough. I wound up with a tropheous Dubosi and the lab in my tank about 8 months ago. The lab was the tank boss but all was chill for a while. Then seemingly overnight the Tropheous Duboisi changed his colors and got his white stripe (showing they're mature adults I guess Lolol) and BOOM. the lab was almost killed. Now she's in a 40 breeder terrorizing some Kribs. I kept the tropheous duboisi longer than I should have and it killed my Angelfish so I finally rehomed him. Now I'm starting a lab tank for the sole purpose of moving the large lab away from the Kribensis but as I said in last post I'll have to wait or she will likely kill the new smaller labs in the tank. What's my point? Not sure except it's tough with aggressive types. I'm worried about lab on lab, and when I tried the tropheous Duboisi all went awry. However TD are super aggressive and you have mbunas together which I'm sure will work out. Who appears to be bullying your fish? Are the labs bothering labs or is it the acei against the rest? In other words is there a main bully who bullies the fish who are a threat to his dominance and then those bullied fish bully the weaker ones etc etc? I've found that the more aggressive the bullying is by the tank bosses, the more bullying in my tank happens overall--meaning--if the largest fish isn't a huge bully everybofy seems peaceful but if the largest fish is a huge bully the bullying travels right down the line. Edit i've also read that the tank bosses Job is to make sure the tank is running smoothly but who knows if that's true

0CF1A3FA-25E4-439F-923A-6F90C1B7ED82.jpeg

B0FC7BEF-7281-4953-8DF7-4918B5708316.jpeg

I WISH I could remember where I read that the job of an alpha fish is to actually keep the other fish in line.

Dechi
KribensisLover1 said:
Who appears to be bullying your fish? Are the labs bothering labs or is it the acei against the rest? In other words is there a main bully who bullies the fish who are a threat to his dominance and then those bullied fish bully the weaker ones etc etc?
Yellow lab is tank boss. What I think is happening is he is beating up other yellow lab males. The one I took out, and the other one still in the tank. He is leaving the last one alone, and I believe it’s a female.

Then, the dominant demasoni is beating up the other demasoni. Unfortunately I think I got 3 males, 1 female so he is probably beating up the other 2 males.

The acei are minding their business. I think I have 2 males and 2 females. The dominant male is breeding, chasing females a bit but no fighting so far (fingers crossed).

KribensisLover1 said:
I WISH I could remember where I read that the job of an alpha fish is to actually keep the other fish in line.
I’ve read it too, more than once, but can’t remember where either.

Tomorrow I have to make a move : either remove the beaten up demasoni and yellow lab and put them all in a 10 gallons to treat them, hoping they won’t kill each other.

Or, remove the dominant lab but then I would have to treat the whole tank, which I would like to avoid.

Next, I need to rehome the yellow lab and demasoni males.

These guys are so much work ! With the winter here and pandemic, I am bored, so it gives me something to focus on, lol !

BigBeardDaHuZi
Dechi said:
Yellow lab is tank boss. What I think is happening is he is beating up other yellow lab males. The one I took out, and the other one still in the tank. He is leaving the last one alone, and I believe it’s a female.

Then, the dominant demasoni is beating up the other demasoni. Unfortunately I think I got 3 males, 1 female so he is probably beating up the other 2 males.

The acei are minding their business. I think I have 2 males and 2 females. The dominant male is breeding, chasing females a bit but no fighting so far (fingers crossed).

Tomorrow I have to make a move : either remove the beaten up demasoni and yellow lab and put them all in a 10 gallons to treat them, hoping they won’t kill each other.

Or, remove the dominant lab but then I would have to treat the whole tank, which I would like to avoid.

These guys are so much work ! With the winter here and pandemic, I am bored, so it gives me something to focus on, lol !
How many do you have of each Dechi ? Do you need to add more? I'm pretty happy I stayed away from the Mbuna (except for the Acei, which I still kinda want). Although, I have to admit, a couple schools of Mbuna darting in and out of the rocks is a pretty sweet sight.

My tank is still pretty chill. The tank boss - an Otopharynx Tetrastigma - is really chill most of the time. Occasionally he will put on breeding colors and take over half of the tank, but he is not that violent. The rest of the fish play together a lot and I don't see any nipping going on. But they are all still pretty young. My biggest problem right now is algae. My pendant light is a little too effective. I need to add a BP, but I haven't had time to go to the stores lately... too busy with work.

KribensisLover1
Dechi said:

Were you trying to get one male and the rest females of each type and couldn't sex them so young?

Dechi
BigBeardDaHuZi said:
How many do you have of each Dechi ? Do you need to add more?
They were all in groups of 4. 3 yellow labs left in the main tank, including the beaten up one.

I am hesitant to add more of the same kind I have and create more chaos if I get males in the new batch. I’ve been told on another forum Demasoni need to be in groups of 12 and there is no way I’ll add 12 of them. Not interested.

I’m considering only keeping the acei. I don’t know anymore. The store I bought my tank from hasn’t called me back so I don’t know when I’ll get the 75 gallons that would help. Sigh.
KribensisLover1 said:
Were you trying to get one male and the rest females of each type and couldn't sex them so young?
Yes, exactly. They were juveniles. And I wasn’t lucky, I got 1 female of each for the Yellow lab and Demasoni.

Acei 2m:2f
yellow labs 3m:1f
Demasoni 3m:1f

That’s my personal assessment though, I can’t be 100% sure, except for the Demasoni, I’ve seen them do their turning in circle.

KribensisLover1
Dechi said:
They were all in groups of 4. 3 yellow labs left in the main tank, including the beaten up one.

I am hesitant to add more of the same kind I have and create more chaos if I get males in the new batch. I’ve been told on another forum Demasoni need to be in groups of 12 and there is no way I’ll add 12 of them. Not interested.

I’m considering only keeping the acei. I don’t know anymore. The store I bought my tank from hasn’t called me back so I don’t know when I’ll get the 75 gallons that would help. Sigh.

Yes, exactly. They were juveniles. And I wasn’t lucky, I got 1 female of each for the Yellow lab and Demasoni.

Acei 2m:2f
yellow labs 3m:1f
Demasoni 3m:1f

That’s my personal assessment though, I can’t be 100% sure, except for the Demasoni, I’ve seen them do their turning in circle.
You poor thing. I think I have a male in the new babies and he's already bullying the others and turns out my large fish is a male. So yea not sure how that's going to work. Or yes I already know that it's NOT! Also my littles already need more hides and I'm not sure what to do Bc they can all fit into the same hides so it's harder for the weakest to actually hide out. I see you have natural rocks and then the hiding spaces created by those rocks but not actual hides. Who knows what to do right? I want to copy your tank style but it's so hard to know what will work

Dechi
Update : fingers crossed, but it’s going a lot better in the new tank (75 gallons) ! I still have one pretty pitiful yellow lab with a sunken belly but the demasonis are doing great. Some chasing, but nothing outrageous.

Tomorrow I should be going to the LFS to get 7 or 10 new fish. My plan is to get those 3 groups :

- 3 x fuelleborni ON
- 4 x astatotilapia latifasciata
- 3 x cynotilapia sp. lion

I can’t wait !

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom