Who Should I Add First? *fishless Cycle Fail*

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BirdMom, Apr 23, 2018.

1. BirdMom

BirdMomValued MemberMember

I'm about ready to give up on my fishless cycle my ammonia levels right now are 0.25 PPM how bad would it be to add a fish in there right now?

I'm trying to figure out which of our stocking selections is going to be the hardiest to help us cycle this tank & hopefully survive with little damage done...Basically who's most likely to survive/who's most hardy?

Original plans for the aquarium were a **male betta, mystery snails, African dwarf frogs & Silvertip tetras*** (although as time goes on I am second-guessing the silvertips since they're pretty fast eaters & the other and habitats are slow)

If need be I can lock up the ammonia with Prime if it is too high.

Both nitrite & nitrate are at 0 PPM. We're going on over 2 months of trying to cycle this tank with Tetra safestart & Stability & plants (not doing well either) & we had some pest snails in there 6 of them to be precise but they all disappeared & have been gone now for over a week so I'm guessing they're dead or crawled up out of the tank through the very small gap near the HOB filter. We also have a sponge filter & temp is 78°F pH is 7.2-7.8 range ( usually 7.5)... the products I use on the aquarium are all seachem products Prime, Stability & Flourish root tabs, although I do have a wonder shell in there for the snails when we get them.

At one point I had a reading on my nitrite & nitrate levels but it just crashed & hasn't come back since...I am so dressed over this.

Thank you for your advice.

2. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I could be wrong but i thought safestart was ised for a fish in cycle which could explain your problems

3. emmysjj

emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

While I wouldn't suggest it, you could add the male betta with water changes and watching your parameters VERY closely. Bettas are pretty hardy though :)

4. puffer boi

puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

i wouldnt keep adf with bettas, because it can be hard for them to get food, adf cant see very well at all.