Who needs a bubbler?

GothicCandle
do carp(koi/goldfish) need a bubbler?

Our family room(where the 46 gallon bow front is) has been flooded and we need to put the fish in my ten gallon. The five gallon I know is too small, and I'm not sure if the 30 gallon holds water(its been in storege tilted on its side so it might leak and need re-sealed.) so the ten gallon is the only choice for now. My 6 or so inch pleco and my three 4 inch koi will need to stay in it for awhile(no longer then a week) My uncle says they will be fine for that short time and that since they are koi they don't(ever) need a bubbler anyway. Should I put a bubbler in the ten gallon or not?

aquariumnewbie
IMO, I think it's better to put in a bubbler. Better safe than sorry.

mlinden84
That's kind of what I was thinking. It couldn't hurt them to have it... and since it will temp. be overstocked it's probably a good idea to use it. Will you be using a filter for the tank as well? I'd keep an eye on the water parameters if I were you, doing frequent water changes to keep them healthy. Good luck!

Peterpiper
Sorry to hear about the flood!
You will have some issues with them being in a smaller tank. Carp are good poop machines, and will mess up the water quick in a small tank.
If you can, get the biggest tub you can, and put them in that till the tank is fixed or replaced. Get the filter, heater and air into the tub, and keep a eye on the peram's.
Do carp need a bubbler? well some will say no, but these are the same people that say a Betta does not need one.
Do the best you can for the fish, give it good water, food, temp, room and O2.,
Wishing you all the best for the task before you.

GothicCandle
luckily we didn't have to take them out of the bigger tank after all. We lowered the water level to a little less then half the tank and my uncle moved it to a non-flooded part of the room. I think I'll go put a bubbler in it anyways though, the water is too low for the filter to work and the fish are kinda freaking out since they are use to lots of water flow/currant. They are just sitting at the bottom of the tank.

aquariumnewbie
Definitely the fishes are under stress due to the change of their environment. Feed them sparingly and try to settle them real soon. remember to check the water parameter since the water level is so low. Good luck to your fishes.

COBettaCouple
Yea, I think bubbles are good for any tank.

GothicCandle
We moved the tank to the other side of the room where it never floods with water(this is the second time our family room has been flooded, first by the washer and now by the air conditioning. But it only ever floods one side of the room.) The fish are a lot happier with the tank full again. I put a bubbler in, and its still in there, I think they like the extra currant it makes.

aquariumnewbie
Good to hear that the fishes are all settled down.

COBettaCouple
Cool!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
  • Charlemagne
  • Koi
Replies
Views
Akari_32
Replies