Who Likes Or Doesn’'t Like Pitbulls

Discussion in 'Dogs' started by phantom, Apr 17, 2018.

1. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

pit-bulls are loving sweet animals if you agree comment why if not comment why not. I love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Not a fan. Several family members have them. I take care of them occasionally. A dear boy I know had two since they were puppies. After they matured, one and later another, first bit a child on the face which required several surgeries and the other pit went after another child, fortunately not to the face. These were his babies and he had to put them down. (Not same liter or parents) This is not the first I have heard of this from people that it happens when the dogs reach maturity. Others I know are calm docile dogs. I don't like the looks or the breeding so I would never have one. As with any breed, it is a personal preference.

3. Rylan

Rylan Well Known Member Member

I like them, and I think they’re sweet dogs when raised correctly, but I would never keep one as a pet, unless perhaps it were mixed breed with another breed of dog less known for incidents, and even then they sometimes scare me. I think they require a very dedicated owner with a high level understanding of canine behavior to keep from developing behavioral problems. Most people don’t meet that criteria. I certainly don’t. I don’t think it’s the dogs, I think it’s that most people are sadly unqualified to own and take care of them properly which is why they have the unfortunate reputation that they do.

4. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I love dogs. I've come across plenty of aggressive dogs from irresponsible owners who let the dog off the leash in a city park, knowing they can't control it, screaming constantly to get back (seriously, I don't get it). I don't scare easy. Most of the time it's just all bark and no bite, and if I have to, I stand my ground.

With that said, a barber who cut my hair once owned a male Pitbull. He was always hanging around in his shop, which was actually the barber's basement. Very friendly, but I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't nervous the first time it greeted me. He was one big happy puppy, but I can see the pure muscle that is his head. He fell asleep on my lap, while I was waiting. I never went back.

I think the bad rap they get is mostly the owners' fault. I realize that. However, I also think it's a bit irresponsible to say that they aren't genetically predisposed to aggression.

5. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

The ONLY pits I’ve ever met showing signs of aggression or instability were either used as bait dogs or actually as fighting dogs. These dogs are treated horribly from day one!
    Pits are loving, loyal funny dogs. I do love them. But, Rotties are my faves. And Doxies. And mixes. I digress, pits are awesome and breed specific legislation is totally wrong. My most serious bites were from poodles.
    Besides, if you look at a pittie’s face you just wanna give it kisses n stuff! :)

6. motherofbettas

motherofbettas Valued Member Member

I'll bite and disagree. My inlaws have had their pitbull since she was a itty bitty tiny puppy that could fit in your hand. When she is with me or my Husband she is confident and walks well on a leash and plays nicely with others. But when my MIL and I go for a walk Riley completely changes into the "ferocious monster" pitbulls are often portrayed as, lashing out at anything, fearful, and lunging on her leash. It's all about the owner {or dog walker} presenting an alpha attitude. My mother in law is terrified of Riley attacking another dog or even a person and she doesn't understand that her energy influences how Riley behaves. Sadly after 6 years {and the arrival of a new grandson} my inlaws are finally attempting to become more dominant with her and it's not going the greatest. Riley has been too long in charge and doesn't understand why "Mommy" and "Daddy" aren't letting her do the things she's become used to.

My personal opinion is that some dogs just need stronger pack leaders {owners} to lead a healthy, stable life and pit bulls are one of these. They shouldn't be allowed to be adopted or owned in my opinion by people who aren't prepared to deal with their stubborn personality traits. That being said, when they trust you, you will be hard set to find a more loyal dog. And in Riley's case snuggle bug! ;)

Also I am so sorry to hear about your friend's dogs and the children involved. It's always sad to lose a pet, especially in those circumstances.
    As a mom I do not trust any dog alone with my son, except our grandma collie who helps "nanny" him, my heart breaks for those little kids.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  7. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

My best friend has a pit and I had a fit when he first got it. I have identical twin nephews who you couldn't tell apart...not until a pit bull got hold of one of them and ripped half of his face off. Now you know the one with the large scar running all the way down his beautiful face is Matt. However, I have learned to love "Biggie", my friends pit. I would NEVER leave a child unattended with one though.

What drive me crazy is when someone calls them 'bulldogs'. They are NOT bulldogs...they are terriers. I have an English bulldog and they are just big, fat, loving couch potatoes.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018
  8. Freshwater-Freshman

Freshwater-Freshman Valued Member Member

My Pit was attacked by two different yellow labs years in between incidents, he has scars all over his body and he has stopped playing tug of war with people or dogs, if there are loud noises he will go sit in the garage and wait till everything is calm. He's 10 now, and has lived with his brother Gordo, a chihuahua, and a cat June, and my siblings from babies to teenagers. He has never been anything but the sweetest dog we've ever known. I see a lot of people say "my family member had one and they loved them until they just attacked for some reason" maybe they did, but I've known even more people with Pits who LOVED them, but who also raised them to be tough guard dogs, or hit them as punishment, or kept them outside all day, left them alone with overbearing children or joking tell the dog to sick a cat on their property.

Everyone loves their animals, but there's a lot that people aren't doing right, and nothing happens with animals for "no reason"

9. Goldiemom

I agree, all dogs have their reputations to proceed them and many simply aren't true. I have people tell me they wouldn't have a bulldog because they drool so much. Mine has never drooled but I do see many that do. Now snoring, is a whole other story. lol

10. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

11. motherofbettas

motherofbettas Valued Member Member

[QUOTE="Gypsy13, I do agree that it depends on the owner. After all the owner is responsible for the animals wellbeing and attitude. My dogs have never been allowed to run loose in the neighborhood. I’ve never left any dog alone with a child. My big dogs, pits, gsds, Rotties etc, have always been taught to be gentle with strangers. And I mean taught. My dogs have never been afraid of me. I’ve never ever hit a dog. I allowed them to be what they are naturally, loving loyal parts of my family. People getting a pit bull have to know how to deal with the power of a big dog. Just like a Rottie or even Great Dane. And I stand behind what I said about breed specific legislation. While dogs are a beautiful addition to a family and mine are always spoiled and loved as if they’re human, they’re still dogs and will do what nature intended. Responsibility. One thing too many humans don’t understand. :) [/QUOTE]

A huge thank you for being a responsible dog owner and a great ambassador of those breeds. My aunt's boyfriend had the most beautiful Rottie, Kidd, and we loved him so much! He was gentle and kind and I think a lot of it of course had to do with his never having to question if he was leading the pack or not. He always knew where he stood. :)

12. Goldiemom

In all of my years working in hospitals, the only fatality I ever saw in the ER by a dog was an infant that was shaken and mauled by a German Shepherd. The baby was asleep on the sofa with his Dad and the dog grabbed the infant and shook him like he was one of his toys. Although our staff tried everything, the dog had done too much damage and the baby died. The father was devastated and blamed himself. He said he always played tough with the dog and his toys. I’ll never forget that dogs name...”T-Bone”.

13. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Its a dog by dog basis, I have met some dogs that I absolutely don't like, and some that are great (I was attacked by a dalmatian when i was about 9, it crossed a two lane road to come attack me, I didn't see it until it was halfway across the road and beyond out of its yard, the good thing is i had a tall person to climb onto their shoulders to get away from serious harm). I can read a dogs body language, I understand what they are trying to say and pits are about the only one that I have seen that can have several personality issues with the same person involved. I understand that they sense owner energy, however some dogs have been bred to make colors more prominent without accounting for other behavioral traits linked to said colors. (Great example of this is farm raised tame foxes, they have developed dog like colors as they have been bred for tameness.)
    The mother of my aussie was trained to sick cats (by a jerkface that thought it funny), to the point of her seeing a cat she tries to kill it. My aussie doesn't even bark when she sees a cat, because I made sure she wasn't taught that stupid behavior. My aussie had an issue with her not being my only dog (to the point she was aggressive towards my beagle), I sat down with both of them (arms over them) and explained they needed to get along otherwise they would be in trouble, aussie has not tried to attack my beagle since (she still checks her over because she is easily made jealous - so she looks to see how much pets she has gotten over her lol).
    A dog has tells, if the owner feels threatened the dog likely will try to stand up to the danger, if the threat doesn't back down is when issues happen. My beagle handles my nieces getting in her face and petting her weird, my aussie just licks them in the face which causes the nieces to squeal and skitter back away from the dog breath. Some dogs can handle children, some cannot. Herding dogs are more likely to nip at children if they are doing something that screams wrong to them (like children running around screaming past the dog, it agitates the animal because it not only hurts their ears but engages the chase drive).
    Some dogs aren't social and when something gets in their face they react defensively, people need to understand that dogs aren't toys and to treat them as living beings.

People don't read a dog and understand what they are saying. Which is the biggest issue with most dogs, I approach a dog only if they are friendly and their owner is okay with me petting them (generally I gauge the reaction of both, how the dog is standing, if it is relaxed enough to handle having someone come up to them). My beagle is okay with being petted by strangers (to the point of i have to make sure she isn't approaching them without them wanting to pet her), she is not okay with suddenly being touched when she doesn't see the person (children are surprisingly not bad about this unless they have a learning disability, its the adults i have to watch). I watch her and make sure she is okay before, during, and after each encounter to make sure she is still comfortable being handled - sometimes she reaches a breaking point and is done without people touching her, at that point we either head home or avoid people. I sometimes use her to help with training dogs, she listens very well and is better behaved than most in training dogs, so she is stable enough to have dogs walk in front of her and her not move an inch because she is focused (either on me because i am telling her what not to do or the treat i have lol).

14. mimicoctopi

mimicoctopi New Member Member

As a veterinary technician, I will tell you that most pitbulls are just big potatoes. Some get very nervous, yes. One I met was actually an aggressive dog. Most aren't bad though. The dogs we don't trust in clinic settings are Chihuahuas and German Shepherds. All dogs have their own personalities. I have met and cared for some very docile Chihuahuas and German Shepherds. Dalmations are another breed that aren't very trustworthy, but I've met a couple docile Dalmations too. I do want to touch a bit on pitbulls though. There are actual pitbulls (American and Staffordshire) and then there are pitbull-type dogs (Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino, mixed, etc). Many many many people will say a dog is a pitbull when it is not. Just because it looks like one doesn't mean it is one. The other area they get their horrendous reputation is from the media. When there is a dog attack, most of the time they will label it a pitbull whether it is or it isn't. When it is actually known that it isn't a pitbull, many times they won't even mention what breed it was.

Pitbulls were bred in England in the beginning to fight in a ring with bulls, hence the name. Later, it was outlawed so people went on to fighting them with other dogs. Pitbulls were bred to be dog aggressive, not people aggressive. They needed to be able to be handled by their handlers. Later, pitbulls made their way into America where they were used as farm dogs and later as family dogs. They are very loyal and protective of their families. Somebody on here mentioned their mother-in-laws dog acting out on walks while she's present. It sounds like that dog is territorial over the mother-in-law. Unfortunately, some dogs become territorial over their owners, not just pitbulls. This is a big reason why we prefer taking animals to the back of the clinic to look at them. Most of the time they are much better and easier to handle when owners aren't present. Occasionally, we will get those dogs that are better with their owner present.

Another person said she'd never leave a child with a pitbull alone. This should be with any dog, big or small, not just with pitbulls. Dogs are animals, plain and simple. It is unsafe to leave children to their own devices with any dog, even if the dog is family. Although they have thousands of years of domestication, they still have instinctual tendencies that children could bring out in them.

I have a dog that looks to be a dachshund/pitbull mix. I'm not really sure. I'll be doing the DNA test on her sometime in the near future. Dachshunds are also known to be mean little critters. But this dog is the sweetest (and most adorable) little dog I've ever met. She doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body. 20180319_150951.jpg FB_IMG_1522029372212.jpg

15. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I definitely would not have one. My brother had a dog that was half pit and in the course of 2 years, he bit 4 children in the family. One of them was my daughter who was 4 at the time. He put a hole in her eyebrow and about 2 weeks later she had a seizure and was hospitalized. They found that the dog's tooth had actually penetrated her skull and there was a pressure build up in the area that caused the seizure. She recovered and is now 33 with 2 kids of her own but that was the scariest time of my life. Another bad experience was when I was walking my sweetheart yellow lab and a guy came from the other direction with a large Pit on a leash and a smaller one running free. The small one ran up to my dog and started nipping. Then the guy tried to get her and got too close and the big one grabbed my dog by the head and almost tore one of her ears off. She had to have many stitches and drains put in and lost a small piece of her ear. The vet bill was over $500 but the Pit owner paid it.

This is my opinion of what should be done with the breed and it might seem extreme to some. I wouldn't kill them all but I would put a ban on breeding them, even with other breeds. Then the breed (which never should have come into being in the first place), would die out naturally. I think they are entirely untrustworthy and liable to turn on even the best owners. This has happened many times. They can be sweet as can be and then for no apparent reason, go into attack mode. I love dogs but I don't think Pits should exist much longer. They have been banned in many areas and it is illegal to own one in Australia. This didn't happen without reasons.

16. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

The thing is, pit bulls aren't the most aggressive dog breed out there, plain and simple. Studies show that small dogs, particularly chihuahuas and dachshunds score highest on aggressiveness tests. I have never been bitten by a pit bull, yet I have been bitten by my friends chihuahua, as well as a Yorkie. The thing is, pit bulls are pure muscle and grit, with a powerful bite. If it was not a chihuahua that bit me, but a pit bull, I would have had a torn ligament, sever bleeding, tons of stitches, etc. But it just left a painful cut, as it was a tiny dog, so I washed it off and moved on with my day. This is one of the reasons that pit bulls and other dogs like rottweilers get a bad rap, when they do damage, it is normally severe. It also has been proven, that people are far less likely to report an attack by a more "friendly" than by a pit bull, hence in part why pit bulls, german shepherds, rottweilers and the like are so frequently reported for attacks. Also, pit bulls are far more likely to be euthanized than any other dog, even if they are acting out in self defense. An incident that sticks out in particular to me is at a local dog park, a beagle who wasn't being supervised by his owner walked up to a pit bull and bit his ear. The dog tried to pull away, but realizing that he couldn't, bit the beagle on the snout and ran back to cower in between his owners legs. The pit bull, with severe damage and a chunk out of it's ear, was euthanized, and the beagle got off scot free. Another huge issue is misidentification. There is 3 breeds known as pit bulls recognized officially, many other dog breeds known as pit bulls. However, pit bull is also just used as a general term to describe a vast multitude of dogs. In fact, any dog that has short hair, a blocky head, and is between 40 to 100 pounds will normally be identified as a pit. Think about it, when your kid is being mauled, are you really paying attention to every detail? You just give a blanket description, the authorities qualify what you are describing is a pit bull, and viola! Another bad pit bull attack in the news. What people fail to realize is that over 5o dog breeds meet those characteristics. Pit bulls aren't the problem. I could literally open my pit bull mixes mouth and put my head in there, and she won't do anything.

17. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

The meanest dog i know of is my inlaws its just a little mut but pure evel. I had a shepard growing up as well as when my kids were growing up and yes it was very protective. My neighbors have a pitbull and its a 90 pound baby. Right now we have a jack russell that needs a muzzle to see the vet, apparently she doesn't like men with beards but yet she wants pets from everyone else.

18. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Small dogs are naturally high strung. Yet, you can't compare a Chihuahua, Daschund, and Mini Pin to a Pitbull bite, and if you consider yapping as aggression, then sure, I suppose they are more "aggressive". But the majority of the time that is all it is--barking. When you approach one, more than likely it will run off and hide under the kitchen table or bed and continue on yapping.

I'm not sure I agree about Pitbulls being unfairly blamed because of similar looking breeds. They are as easily identifiable as a German Sheperd, a Beagle, or a St. Bernard. In fact, Pitbulls are one of the most recognized dogs--probably more so than some of the breeds mentioned here.

I'm not against Pitbulls, as I personally never had a bad experience with one. However, they can do some serious damage. Their heads are pure muscle, and that makes me wary.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  19. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Yes, other dogs can be aggressive but I don't know of any other breed that has been known to suddenly turn on it's owner, the person who has fed, cared for and loved the dog for years, than a Pitbull. Such cases are well documented and can not be ignored.

20. King o´ Angelfish

King o´ Angelfish Valued Member Member

Well I have only seen one pitbull in my entire life. A guy had him on a leash, a boy got close to it, the pitbull got mad and bit the boy´s nose. No serious injuries, but the boy´s nose was bleeding bad. Too aggressive for my taste.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice