Who is a vegetarian?

DAWNA

Reaction score
I would like to know how many people are vegetarians? No beef, pork, poultry, lamb, dairy, fish or any other animal I missed. Personally I raise my own beef in my backyard and have them slaughtered in my backyard. They are treated better than farm cows and have no hormones or chemicals, plus they are my pets for a few months.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not there yet but headed that way. I seem to do less meat/poultry/fish eating as time goes by. The thought doesn't bother me so much as I just don't seem to want it anymore.

Rose

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
Not there yet but headed that way. I seem to do less meat/poultry/fish eating as time goes by. The thought doesn't bother me so much as I just don't seem to want it anymore.

Rose
Not even... ribs? Who couldn't want ribs, or wings, or a nice, juicy, steak....

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The only meat that I eat from time to time is chicken or turkey. Sometimes I'll have turkey or ham in my sandwich. Plus, I eat seafood such as shrimp, salmon, lobster, and crab. I personally hate hamburgers, steaks, and anything like this - that is, any red meat. I am also aware how packed with chemicals and antibiotics the chicken and turkey that I eat are. That's why I try not to eat too much of that. It's very scary and I can't raise my own chickens (lol) so I must stick with bought food. But even if I could raise my own chickens, I wouldn't be able to kill them. NEVER. I am very sentimental about animals and while I understand that the chicken I eat was also killed, I could never imagine myself killing ANY animal. If I were stranded on an island and had to hunt for my own food, I'd either have to survive on fruit and whatever else I could find, or I'd have to die of starvation because I wouldn't kill any animal. Simple watching of a malnutritioned animal on Animal Planet can easily make me cry - I don't know why I am so sensitive about animals, but it's been this way with me.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I guess living where the chickens, turkeys,cattle and hogs are raised has dampened my apetite for it. I don't live on a farm but I had grandparents who farmed and raised animals, and yes it is hard to have a life around the animals and not be affected by it somehow. (and now having fish is the end of the fish in my diet) When you make a pet out of something it is very hard to consider it a meal. Oh well, I guess there is something to be said for soybeans and tofu. My sister has practiced a vegetarian lifestyle for a long time and is perfectly healthy.

Rose

DAWNA

Reaction score
Isabel, I am with you, I cannot kill anything myself not even to stop it's suffering. I rescue ANYTHING and feel a personal failure when I can't cure it and let it go. I don't kill the cows I raise, I can't even be in the same city. I hire a "hit man" I guess. I told my kids when we got our first cow that we get cows for meat and milk and as long as you treat them well while they are alive, and they are killed INSTANTLY, it's okay. Even if there were no chemicals or hormones in the animals, they are treated so bad that I can't buy them. The more we buy, the more get tortured. Boy, I sound so "preachy" on this subject and it's not even about fish. Thanks for all of your opinions, it's an interesting topic to think about since we have animals.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dawna, I didn't mean to imply that I think "you're wrong to raise and kill" your own chickens, etc. These animals are being killed for food all the time. I don't think it's wrong to kill for food (as long as you really need that food and the killing is out of necessity). And I agree with you - there is a big difference between ethical way of doing this and an unethical one. Cows and chickens suffer on many farms, living in unimaginable conditions and being raised on chemicals and antibiotics, before they are finally killed. This is definitely CRUEL and a horrible way to treat animals, even if one is to kill them. Just because an animal is to be killed, should not mean that it does not deserve a good life. Letting it live a good life and killing it very quickly and painlessly at the end is the proper and humane way to do it. And it should be THE ONLY way to do it. Therefore I don't think you're wrong to raise your own chickens for food, Dawna, because you're giving them a good life - one that they wouldn't have on a slaughter farm.

Lastly, I still think that WAY TOO MUCH meat is being wasted in America. U.S. is a nation that consumes more meat than any other country in the world. People in America eat too much meat than they need in their diet. What that means is that we're killing animals out of our caprice, not out of NECESSITY - and that is wrong. Besides, much of that meat is left uneaten and goes to waste. All of these animals are being killed just so we humans can have "whatever we want". As I have said, killing of animals for food should be out of real necessity, not out of our whims. Such a waste of innocent life.

I recommend for everyone to read "How Much Is Enough? - The Consumer Society and the Future of the Earth" by Alan Durning. It's a short, cheap, and VERY informative book about what excessive consumerism (including meat consuption) is doing to nature and animals. I would urge all of you to read this book.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom